Collectd agent ethstat error

Hi there guys,
Do not know if I should ask this question in here or in the docker forum, please advice.

I'm trying to gather stats from a container iface and I get this error:

[error] ethstat plugin: Reading statistics from eth0 failed: Operation not permitted

Thanks
Regards

If you are using collectd, probably best place is you ask this in the collectd forum. Or what beat are you using?

Hi Ruflin
I decided to go with collectd for containers cuz it's easier to setup, for the rest I'm using metricbeat/filebeat integrated with ELK stack.

Thanks
Regards

Interesting to hear. There is already the cgroup module in Metricbeat and we are currently working on a docker module. Anything specific you were missing / looking for?

Just the way I have to start the container, I don't feel comfortable doing this:

docker run \
  --volume=/proc:/hostfs/proc:ro \ 
  --volume=/sys/fs/cgroup:/hostfs/sys/fs/cgroup:ro \ 
  --volume=/:/hostfs:ro \ 
  --net=host 
  my/metricbeat:latest -system.hostfs=/hostfs
---

Collectd has lots of plugins ( a docker one also ) and found it easy to install and setup once the container is running or from a Dockerfile, but hey, not saying metricbeat is bad , I used it for other things and it's great, the dashboards are cool, i'ts just the way I wanted to monitor a container and want to do it as simple as possible..

I'd like to hear more about the docker module you mention before anyway, and when I upgrade ES to 5.x I'll want to test x-pack which looks awesome.

Thank for your time and support
Regards

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. The docker module is already in master and we are currently doing quite a bit of tweaking on it: https://github.com/elastic/beats/issues/2629

This topic was automatically closed after 21 days. New replies are no longer allowed.