MetricBeat: System module does not seems to send any data to ES

I have metricbeat running inside a docker container, and have been able to successfully get docker and ES stack monitored. I'm trying to extend the monitoring to the system. However, I'm unable to see any of the system stats.

The base os is Ubuntu. My ES version is 8.11.0.

Here is how my module file looks:

- module: system
  metricsets:
   - cpu # CPU usage
   - load # CPU load averages
   - memory # Memory usage
   - network # Network IO
   - process # Per process metrics
   - process_summary # Process summary
   - uptime # System Uptime
   - socket_summary # Socket summary
   - core           # Per CPU core usage
   - diskio         # Disk IO
   - filesystem     # File system usage for each mountpoint
   - fsstat         # File system summary metrics
   - raid           # Raid
   - socket         # Sockets and connection info (linux only)
   - service        # systemd service information
  enabled: true
  period: 10s
  processes: [".*"]

# Configure the mount point of the host’s filesystem for use in monitoring a host from within a container
  hostfs: "/hostfs"

This is a portion of my docker-compose file that pertains to metricbeat

metricbeat-01:
        restart: unless-stopped #.................................................................. Restarts on reboot and crashes
        networks:
            - elastic-network #.................................................................... Needs to talk to elastic
        user: "0" #>........................................................................... Run as root

volumes:
           - ${PATH_MODULE_METRICBEAT_NODE01_CONFIG}/metricbeat.yml:/usr/share/metricbeat/metricbeat.yml:ro
            - ${PATH_MODULE_METRICBEAT_NODE01_CONFIG}/modules.d:/usr/share/metricbeat/modules.d:ro
            - ${PATH_MODULE_METRICBEAT_NODE01_DATA}/metricbeat-01:/usr/share/metricbeat/data
            - /proc:/hostfs/proc:ro 
            - /sys/fs/cgroup:/hostfs/sys/fs/cgroup:ro 
            - /:/hostfs:ro 
             - /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock:ro 

The metricbeat container logs indicate the following:

{"log.level":"debug","@timestamp":"2023-11-30T13:54:41.764+0530","log.logger":"cfgfile","log.origin":{"file.name":"cfgfile/cfgfile.go","file.line":204},"message":"Load config from file: /usr/share/metricbeat/modules.d/system.yml","service.name":"metricbeat","ecs.version":"1.6.0"}
{"log.level":"debug","@timestamp":"2023-11-30T13:54:41.765+0530","log.logger":"cfgfile","log.origin":{"file.name":"cfgfile/reload.go","file.line":212},"message":"Number of module configs found: 1","service.name":"metricbeat","ecs.version":"1.6.0"}
{"log.level":"debug","@timestamp":"2023-11-30T13:54:41.765+0530","log.logger":"reload","log.origin":{"file.name":"cfgfile/list.go","file.line":92},"message":"Starting reload procedure, current runners: 0","service.name":"metricbeat","ecs.version":"1.6.0"}
{"log.level":"debug","@timestamp":"2023-11-30T13:54:41.765+0530","log.logger":"reload","log.origin":{"file.name":"cfgfile/list.go","file.line":110},"message":"Start list: 1, Stop list: 0","service.name":"metricbeat","ecs.version":"1.6.0"}
{"log.level":"info","@timestamp":"2023-11-30T13:54:41.769+0530","log.origin":{"file.name":"filesystem/filesystem.go","file.line":70},"message":"Ignoring filesystem types: sysfs, tmpfs, bdev, proc, cgroup, cgroup2, cpuset, devtmpfs, configfs, debugfs, tracefs, securityfs, sockfs, bpf, pipefs, ramfs, hugetlbfs, devpts, ecryptfs, fuse, fusectl, efivarfs, mqueue, resctrl, pstore, autofs, binfmt_misc, overlay, aufs","service.name":"metricbeat","ecs.version":"1.6.0"}
{"log.level":"info","@timestamp":"2023-11-30T13:54:41.770+0530","log.logger":"system.fsstat","log.origin":{"file.name":"fsstat/fsstat.go","file.line":60},"message":"Ignoring filesystem types: %ssysfs, tmpfs, bdev, proc, cgroup, cgroup2, cpuset, devtmpfs, configfs, debugfs, tracefs, securityfs, sockfs, bpf, pipefs, ramfs, hugetlbfs, devpts, ecryptfs, fuse, fusectl, efivarfs, mqueue, resctrl, pstore, autofs, binfmt_misc, overlay, aufs","service.name":"metricbeat","ecs.version":"1.6.0"}
{"log.level":"warn","@timestamp":"2023-11-30T13:54:41.873+0530","log.logger":"cfgwarn","log.origin":{"file.name":"service/service.go","file.line":61},"message":"BETA: The system service metricset is beta.","service.name":"metricbeat","ecs.version":"1.6.0"}
{"log.level":"error","@timestamp":"2023-11-30T13:54:41.873+0530","log.logger":"reload","log.origin":{"file.name":"cfgfile/list.go","file.line":138},"message":"Error creating runner from config: 1 error: error connecting to dbus: dial unix /run/systemd/private: connect: no such file or directory","service.name":"metricbeat","ecs.version":"1.6.0"}

I'm not sure what else I'm missing. Kindly advice

Try commenting this out... Per the error that is not working.

And to be clear (it's not) are you trying to have metricbeat inside a container, monitor the host the container is running on?

If so, you need to pay special attention to these directions

Otherwise it's just going to monitor the container it's in

Thanks. Will try that out now.

Also yes. I am running metric beat inside a docker container with root privilages. I am trying to monitor the host OS with it.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.