Configuration keys

I am getting a fatal error.
FATAL Error: Unknown configuration key(s): "elastic.username", "elastic.password". Check for spelling errors.

I have already added the correct configuration keys. I have no idea where kibana is getting these keys from because they are not in my kibana.yml file. elasticsearch.username and elasticsearch.password are the keys i am using in the kibana.yml file.

1 Like

Did you mean to set elasticsearch.username and elasticsearch.password?

Reference: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/kibana/current/settings.html

I have set elasticsearch.username and elasticsearch.password in the kibana.yml file. For some odd reason it is saying that I have elastic.username and elastic.password as configuration keys, but they are not in my kibana.yml file

No i do not. I have used the correct configuration keys. I am confused on where these are coming from.

Could you share your complete kibana.yml as well as your OS, Kibana version and way of install (docker, zip file, ...)?

Kibana: 7.6.2
Install: yum

Kibana is served by a back end server. This setting specifies the port to use.

server.port: 

# Specifies the address to which the Kibana server will bind. IP addresses and host names are both valid values.
# The default is 'localhost', which usually means remote machines will not be able to connect.
# To allow connections from remote users, set this parameter to a non-loopback address.
server.host: ""

# Enables you to specify a path to mount Kibana at if you are running behind a proxy.
# Use the `server.rewriteBasePath` setting to tell Kibana if it should remove the basePath
# from requests it receives, and to prevent a deprecation warning at startup.
# This setting cannot end in a slash.
#server.basePath: ""

# Specifies whether Kibana should rewrite requests that are prefixed with
# `server.basePath` or require that they are rewritten by your reverse proxy.
# This setting was effectively always `false` before Kibana 6.3 and will
# default to `true` starting in Kibana 7.0.
#server.rewriteBasePath: false

# The maximum payload size in bytes for incoming server requests.
#server.maxPayloadBytes: 1048576

# The Kibana server's name.  This is used for display purposes.
server.name: ""

# The URLs of the Elasticsearch instances to use for all your queries.
elasticsearch.hosts: ["https://localhost:9200"]

# When this setting's value is true Kibana uses the hostname specified in the server.host
# setting. When the value of this setting is false, Kibana uses the hostname of the host
# that connects to this Kibana instance.
#elasticsearch.preserveHost: true

# Kibana uses an index in Elasticsearch to store saved searches, visualizations and
# dashboards. Kibana creates a new index if the index doesn't already exist.
#kibana.index: ".kibana"

# The default application to load.
#kibana.defaultAppId: "home"

# If your Elasticsearch is protected with basic authentication, these settings provide
# the username and password that the Kibana server uses to perform maintenance on the Kibana
# index at startup. Your Kibana users still need to authenticate with Elasticsearch, which
# is proxied through the Kibana server.
elasticsearch.username: ""
elasticsearch.password: ""

# Enables SSL and paths to the PEM-format SSL certificate and SSL key files, respectively.
# These settings enable SSL for outgoing requests from the Kibana server to the browser.
server.ssl.enabled: true
server.ssl.certificate: /etc/kibana/certs/
server.ssl.key: /etc/kibana/certs/

# Optional settings that provide the paths to the PEM-format SSL certificate and key files.
# These files are used to verify the identity of Kibana to Elasticsearch and are required when
# xpack.security.http.ssl.client_authentication in Elasticsearch is set to required.
elasticsearch.ssl.certificate: /etc/elasticsearch/certs/merchantpartners.com.pem
elasticsearch.ssl.key: /etc/elasticsearch/certs/merchantpartners.com.key

# Optional setting that enables you to specify a path to the PEM file for the certificate
# authority for your Elasticsearch instance.
elasticsearch.ssl.certificateAuthorities: [ "/etc/elasticsearch/certs/" ]

# To disregard the validity of SSL certificates, change this setting's value to 'none'.
#elasticsearch.ssl.verificationMode: full

# Time in milliseconds to wait for Elasticsearch to respond to pings. Defaults to the value of
# the elasticsearch.requestTimeout setting.
#elasticsearch.pingTimeout: 1500

# Time in milliseconds to wait for responses from the back end or Elasticsearch. This value
# must be a positive integer.
#elasticsearch.requestTimeout: 30000

# List of Kibana client-side headers to send to Elasticsearch. To send *no* client-side
# headers, set this value to [] (an empty list).
#elasticsearch.requestHeadersWhitelist: [ authorization ]

# Header names and values that are sent to Elasticsearch. Any custom headers cannot be overwritten
# by client-side headers, regardless of the elasticsearch.requestHeadersWhitelist configuration.
#elasticsearch.customHeaders: {}

# Time in milliseconds for Elasticsearch to wait for responses from shards. Set to 0 to disable.
#elasticsearch.shardTimeout: 30000

# Time in milliseconds to wait for Elasticsearch at Kibana startup before retrying.
#elasticsearch.startupTimeout: 5000

# Logs queries sent to Elasticsearch. Requires logging.verbose set to true.
#elasticsearch.logQueries: false

# Specifies the path where Kibana creates the process ID file.
#pid.file: /var/run/kibana.pid

# Enables you specify a file where Kibana stores log output.
logging.dest: stdout

# Set the value of this setting to true to suppress all logging output.
#logging.silent: false

# Set the value of this setting to true to suppress all logging output other than error messages.
#logging.quiet: false

# Set the value of this setting to true to log all events, including system usage information
# and all requests.
logging.verbose: true

# Set the interval in milliseconds to sample system and process performance
# metrics. Minimum is 100ms. Defaults to 5000.
#ops.interval: 5000

# Specifies locale to be used for all localizable strings, dates and number formats.
# Supported languages are the following: English - en , by default , Chinese - zh-CN .
#i18n.locale: "en"

Kibana: 7.6.2

Install: yum

image002.jpg

I sent you the yml file and all the info you asked for. I need to figure this out two days ago.

Here is the error I am seeing.

kibana[20033]: FATAL Error: Unknown configuration key(s): "elastic.username", "elastic.password". Check for spelling errors

elastic.username or password is not in my yml file

image002.jpg

I’m not sure what’s causing this error, I’m guessing it’s picking up another config file and the one you sent is not the one Kibana is seeing when starting up. Is there somewhere else on you system another file called “kibana.yml”? Where is the file located you are editing?

Thats why i came to yall. I am using /etc/kibana/kibana.yml. There is no other config file. Would you know of a path that might have config? I checked /usr/share/kibana and nothing. I even tried /opt/kibana, but nothing.

@compengineer could you for instance share the result of running bin/elasticsearch-keystore list ?

1 Like

keystore.seed is that i get from the /bin/elasticsearch-keystore list command.

@compengineer what is the command you're using to run Kibana? Could you try to use --config <path> and set path to the kibana.yml file you want to use?

problem solved. It was in the kibana-keystore. I deleted those keys and no longer getting that failure. Thank @tiagocosta for suggesting the keystore.

1 Like

@compengineer yeah that was my first thought :smiley: happy that solved the problem!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.