Configuring Metricbeat to send data to other machine

(Jacob Storey) #1

I have two VMs. One of them is running elasticsearch and kibana, the other is running metricbeat. I am trying to get the 2nd VM to send its data to the 1st. I thought that the only configuration was to put the IP of the 1st machine in the metricbeat.yml file.

output.elasticsearch:
hosts:["1stVMIP:9200"]

This doesn't seem to be getting the data to elasticsearch though. Is there other configuration I need to do? Maybe something on the elasticsearch side to let it accept data from the 2nd VM?

(Noémi Ványi) #2

It should be enough. Are you sure you can connect to your first VM from your second? E.g.

curl 1stVMIP:9200

(Jacob Storey) #3

I am not, but I will look into that. I am quite new to using VMs as well as elasticsearch.

(Jacob Storey) #4

After some time working on the network configuration between my two VMs, I can now get a response from curl, but the data from metricbeat is still not showing up in Kibana.

(Jacob Storey) #5

After a bit of additional debugging I have finally gotten it to work. I will provide a summary off what I did incase anyone else has this issue:
After configuring the Network between my VMs, ping would work, but curl would not. I found a source online here that said to do "iptables -F" which to my understanding disabled firewalls. At this point I could curl, but data was still not getting into elasticsearch. I checked the metricbeat logs and found a line saying "Ping request failed... server gave HTTP response to HTTPS client" so I re-commented the protocol setting in metricbeat.yml.

Also, at some point during my trouble shooting I changed network.host in the elasticsearch.yml file to the IP of the machine. When I tried resetting it to the default of localhost, kibana would say that login was disabled. I do not know why this is the case, but the system is now working with network.host set as the IP.

(system) #6

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.