Coordinating node recommendation

Hello,

We have a ES cluster of 10 data nodes with additional 5 master nodes. We are exploring the idea of adding co-ordinating node to the cluster to help with query performance, especially aggregation queries.

The data stored in the ES cluster is mostly log type of data.

I read a lot of documentation around the co-ordinating nodes but I am still unclear on the following points:

1. Does adding co-ordinating nodes help in a cluster of our size?

2. Currently, all the query and the indexing traffic goes to data nodes (which are behind nginx load balancer). The plan is to add the co-ordinating nodes to the nginx LB as well.

Would I need to remove the data nodes from the LB to make sure that indexing/querying traffic only goes through the co-ordinating nodes? Or can I still keep the data and co-ordinating nodes as part of the LB? The reason is, if there is a failure on the co-ordinating nodes, we still have the data nodes to handle the indexing/querying traffic and we might not experience application downtime.

1. I assume we would need more than co-ordinating node. What is the ideal number to support the cluster size (The configuration of the co-ordinating node in terms of compute, memory and network would be similar to that of the data nodes).

Any guidance around this is highly appreciated.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.