Coping with ES' Use of org.joda.time.MutableDateTime

Hello...

I'm still struggling with date arithmetic in the ES stack. I tried something that should have been trivial, coding along with an example presented at this url:

https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/1179670/Using-Painless-Scripting-to-calculate-dates-and-pr

I decided to try this out in Kibana's DevTools tab. Following through the example, I was able to create an index and fill it, just as in the code blocks in the blog post show. I can execute the first, trivial GET request successfully.

But I have encountered a couple of issues:

1. I cannot see this index on the Kibana 'Discover' tab when I look for it (but that's a separate issue); and
  2. Significantly, I encounter an error when I try to execute the second GET request, encountering an error "Cannot apply [-] to types [org.joda.time.MutableDateTime] and [org.joda.MutableDateTime]."

Here is the second GET query, pasted in from the url cited above is:

GET logs/userlog/_search
{
  "size": 0,
  "aggs": {
    "groupby": {
      "range": {
        "script": {
          "inline": "((doc['CLOSED DATE'].value - doc['START DATE'].value) / (3600000.0/60))"
        },
        "ranges": [
          {
            "from": 0.0,
            "to": 30.0,
            "key": "From 0 to 30 minutes"
          },
          {
            "from": 30.0,
            "to": 60.0,
            "key": "From 30 to 60 minutes"
          },
          {
            "from": 60.0,
            "key": "Greater than 1 hour"
          }
        ]
      }
    }
  }
}

I'm using Kibana 6.4.1 and Elasticsearch 6.4.1. Clearly something has changed since Elastic 5.x that now sets dates to this rather unfriendly org.joda.time.MutableDateTime format. How do I change my bulk ingest to get something that will allow me to date arithmetic?

Thanks!

OK. I have now solved the time problem by invoking getMillis() on the date objects. And I also fixed a "deprecated" warning regarding using "inline" rather than "source". Corrected query pasted below:

GET logs/userlog/_search
{
  "size": 0,
  "aggs": {
    "groupby": {
      "range": {
        "script": {
          "source": "((doc['CLOSED DATE'].value.getMillis() - doc['START DATE'].value.getMillis()) / 3600000.0)"
        },
        "ranges": [
          {
            "from": 0.0,
            "to": 2.0,
            "key": "From 0 to 2 hours"
          },
          {
            "from": 2.0,
            "to": 24.0,
            "key": "From 2 to 24 hours"
          },
          {
            "from": 24.0,
            "key": "Greater than 1 day"
          }
        ]
      }
    }
  }
}

So, other than the fact that I can't see my index in Kibana's "Discover" tab, I'm good...I'd appreciate any advice on this second matter. Or, on how to avoid this default representation using org.joda.time.MutableDateTime.

Thanks again!

(Alexander Reelsen) #3

Glad you figured it out!

Just a side note: This script needs to be executed for every hit in your query, which in the above examples means all documents in your index.

This would be a use-case for using an ingest processor, that uses a script to calculate the duration when indexing and store it in an additional field. This will speed up your queries tremendously!

@spinscale--Thanks for the tip. I am aware that what I currently have is search-intensive. Another question I have is: is there some equivalent of a cron job that I could run periodically--say daily and presumably outside of peak hours--to update my time_to_closure statistic for an existing index?

Also, while we're on the topic of time processing, do you have any advice regarding another of my recent posts?

[Scanning Window Search through Index?](Scanning Window Search through Index?

I'm still struggling with figuring out how to sweep through an index in time with a time coordinate--let's just call it t--whose value I control (say by updating in a loop) and comparing various time field values with t to determine things like what tickets are open at a given moment, and how long have they been open.

Thanks and all the best...

(Alexander Reelsen) #5

Hey,

right now there is no equivalent of a cronjob. I think what you need to do is to run a update by query job, that searches for recently closed issues and use a script to calculate the difference. Again, you could potentially do this, when you update the closing time to save a roundtrip and have the data added immediately instead of a cron job (given your setup around Elasticsearch allows for this).

Hope this helps!

--Alex

(system) #6

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.