Copy indices from elastic 5 to 6

Hello,
Currently I am using elasticsearch 5.6.4 which has some production indices which is in one standalone instance.
And another standalone elasticsearch 6.3.2 with same production indices as well.
I want to shift indices from
5.6.4 to 6.4.1
and
6.3.2 to 6.4.1

Though there is not a lot of data in indices as it is in early stage of production.

Can some one suggest any good process to follow before migrating the indices and things to take care before and after migration.
Also will elastic dump be a good option in above case or there is version issues while using elastic dump??

Thanks

Hi Unmil,

First, before you start anything, I would recommend taking a snapshot of the indices so that you have a backup.

Second, for what to do, if you only want to upgrade from 5.x to 6.x, you should be able to do the upgrade and still read the index in the 6.x version, you don't need to reindex the indices unless they were created in 5.x and you want to upgrade to 7.x (or if they were created in 2.x and you want to upgrade to 6.x)

If you do need to reindex these, I would recommend the Reindex API: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/6.4/docs-reindex.html

I would not recommend elastic dump.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.