Hello All,
I have an index with below fields and data set,

1.indicator:13.12.14.15
	  action:success

2.indicators:13.12.14.15
	  tags:elk-search

3.indicator:14.4.5.67.84

I have built a dashboard for the above with 4 panels indicator,indicators,action and tags.
Now if I search for success only 2 panels are filtering data i.e,

indicator:13.12.14.15

But I wanted data in 4 panels because success is related to 13.12.14.15 and the IP is present in one more meta called indicators which is related to tags.
To summarize if i filter success in my dashboard I need to get the below correlated data,

indicator:13.12.14.15
	indicators:13.12.14.15
	tags:elk-search 

Is there any ways to achieve this using ELK queries? Kindly suggest your ideas as I am a beginner in writing queries.

Hi Sivajanani, it sounds like the data is fragmented and you need a way to connect it back together so it can be searched effectively. Kibana doesn't have a way to connect the fragments for you in its visualizations.

I think your best bet is to re-index the data using a query that groups the data into single entities. If indicator is a numeric type orkeyword type field, and and it is how you want the data to be connected, you could run this query to put the entities together:

POST /data-index-*/_search
{
  "size": 5000,  // search for 5000 indicators
  "query": {
    "match_all": {}
  },
  "collapse": {
    "field": "indicator", // designate indicator as the field to group other data by
    "inner_hits": {
      "name": "most_recent",
      "size": 100, // find up to 100 other documents with the same indicator
      "sort": [ { "@date": "desc" } ] // sort with newest documents first
    }
  },
  "sort": [
    {
      "indicator": {
        "order": "asc"
      }
    }
  ]
}

My advice is to create a script that runs that query, and takes the inner_hit JSON data to create new documents, and save those documents in a new Elasticsearch index.

Hello @tsullivan
Thanks for the solution. But still I will be able to get only the indicators field.
So I tried another way around using join. But still I am facing issues. my join field is created but am not able to correlate still.
I think I have missed out some concepts. Please help.

I encourage you to look more into it. With field collapsing, you will get each entire document that correlates to the same indicator value.

See Expand Collapse Results

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.