Creative solution to hiding already seen logs

I'm not sure if this is a Kibana or ES question, but I'm trying to figure out a way to hide all logs on Kibana that have already been seen and have already been started to be worked on.

For example, if there is a certain bug that creates an error log every 5 mins but it is being worked on, I don't want to see it appear on my visualizations so that I can focus on the other errors that are being produced.

I was thinking of maybe tagging them through the ES API or adding a new field called "TrackingBug" to the seen logs and then filtering my visualizations to hide those logs tagged "TrackingBug", but that may only work for tagging already parsed error logs and not ones that will be sent in the future.

Can anyone help me think of a creative solution to this?

Please help!!

What's the criteria for the error entries you are dealing with? Can you maybe just add a filter for a certain type or by some field unique to that error while it's being addressed?

The errors that I'm dealing with are constantly changing.

My system is running and when I make backend changes, all kinds of errors get spit out and every week they are different. When I make a ticket to deal with one of those errors, I don't necessarily want to see it on a visualization because it is being dealt with and not relevant for me to see anymore (As I am concerned with other error messages that haven't been seen by me). In a sense, I'd like to track logs that have tickets issued to them versus ones that don't. However, logs of that error type may shoot out for the next day or so while the fixes are being made and I'd prefer not to see those either.

Does that make more sense?

I think so. It's not a use case that Kibana is really well suited for, but it does sound like you could manage what you see by adding and removing filters.

That is, when you start exploring certain types of errors, you can create a filter in Kibana that will exclude those from the output until you're done. And when you are done, you can remove that filter, so that if it pops up again in the future, you will see it again.

I can't really think of a better way to do what you need in Kibana.

Ok, thanks for your help and time!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.