Cumulative sum with range limited date histogram

I have a timeseries that consists of events like "user has visited page x". If I want to know the total number of visits for a page, I can use a cardinality aggregation.

However, I want to (for example) see the total views of a specific page per day over the last week. If I use a date_histogram, I get much more buckets than I need. If I, however, restrict the date range using a range filter on the query, the cumulative sum would no longer be correct (since it no longer counts the views outside of the given range).

A bucket_selector might work, but I think due to the usage of a script that isn't a good idea.

Or maybe execute a multi search with two queries: one for the buckets I want, and one for the cumulative views until the beginning of the first bucket, then adding that value to all the buckets clientside.

So: what would be the "best" way to get only buckets for the last week (in that example), without loosing the cumulative sum outside of the desired range?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.