Curator for logstash

Hello there

I have query on some of the curator actions, ex: 'Close' action. Would like to know what is the use of it . Not sure if this is the right place to ask about curator, i couldn't find any curator specific forum.

I was looking at https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/client/curator/current/ex_close.html which does not have any detail on what the use of 'Close' action is. Can someone please brief me about it. On a website I found that the 'Close' action saves memory and CPU. I would like to know how does it do so.

Thanks!

The Curator documentation does cover the close action.

In a nutshell, closing an index removes it from the cluster state, and makes it unavailable for searching and analytics, but preserves the data files on the disk. A closed index can then be opened at a later date, after which it is added back to the cluster state, and will be available for searching and analytics. This is why a closed index saves memory and CPU—it is only occupying disk space.

1 Like

Thank you Aaron!

I don't see the detailed definition https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/client/curator/5.5/close.html in the link. Am I looking at the correct link? Or can you point me to the page where it defines all the actions in detail please.

Regards!

Sure! They are in the examples. The close example is here. Do read the commented section carefully as it provides some instruction regarding the disable_action setting.

Hi Aaron,

Thank you for the response.

I did take a look at the examples and I feel it would have been better to add some more detail on what each action does. For ex, the description for allocation action says - apply shard allocation routing to 'require' 'tag=cold' for hot/cold node setup for logstash- indices older than 3 days, based on index_creation date, while i did not find anything on what hot/cold node setup is.

And yes, i have taken a look at disable_action setting and have also executed delete action.

Regards

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.