Curator installation problems

I have successfully running an ELK server on my RHEL6 machine for months now, but it is filling up my HDD very quick now with the indices, so i wanted to start using Curator which seems to do the trick by deleting old indices before my HDD gets full.

So i did a "yum install python-pip" and "pip --version" gives me

After that I did a "pip install elasticsearch-curator", but that didn't go well i'm afraid:

http://pastebin.com/mDqjkxVU (log is to big to paste it in here)

When i read the log, i suddenly see that it is going to download elasticsearch

[quote]Downloading/unpacking elasticsearch>=1.0.0,<2.0.0 (from elasticsearch-curator)
Downloading elasticsearch-1.6.0.tar.gz (63kB): 63kB downloaded
Running setup.py egg_info for package elasticsearch[/quote]

Why is he doing that? I already have it all setup, so i don't want it to get screwed by a new setup.

And is there a way to setup Curator for me? I don't understand much from pip, because it is new to me, so hopefully someone can help me with this.

It looks like you're missing the pbr package. Perhaps you can try installing it with pip first?

When i read the log, i suddenly see that it is going to download elasticsearch

Yes, the elasticsearch Python package. Not Elasticsearch itself.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply.

I also saw a yum install method on

https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/client/curator/current/installation.html

Is it better to use that instead of the original pip method?

Generally it isn't, but you may run into the same kind of errors.

Since you've already started with pip, you will have to uninstall each of the packages this attempt with pip made before you can attempt the yum install method. This is because the yum install method will be installing python packages in those same locations and they'd collide.

pip uninstall packagename

And you'll have to start with elasticsearch-curator and work your way back through each (though curator may not have been completely installed).

I tried to uninstall the packages, but i received these errors:

[quote][root@havok ~]# pip uninstall elasticsearch-curator
Cannot uninstall requirement elasticsearch-curator, not installed
Storing complete log in /root/.pip/pip.log
[root@havok ~]# pip uninstall click
Cannot uninstall requirement click, not installed
[root@havok ~]# pip uninstall urllib3
Cannot uninstall requirement urllib3, not installed
[root@havok ~]# pip uninstall unittest2
Cannot uninstall requirement unittest2, not installed
Storing complete log in /root/.pip/pip.log[/quote]

While i do find the following packages under /tmp/pip-build-root:

• click
  • elastisearch
  • elasticsearch-curator
  • unittest2
  • urllib3

Can i safely delete these? Also i did a "pip install pbr" and it successfully installed it. After that i did a "pip install elasticsearch-curator" and this is the outcome:

And the last few lines are:

[quote][pbr] Reusing existing SOURCES.txt
SyntaxError: ('invalid syntax', ('/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/linecache2/tests/inspect_fodder2.py', 102, 25, 'def keyworded(*arg1, arg2=1):\n'))

Successfully installed elasticsearch-curator elasticsearch click urllib3 unittest2 argparse six traceback2 linecache2
Cleaning up...[/quote]

Does this mean that it is installed successfully and that the SyntaxError can be ignored?

It should be easy enough to try:

curator --help

You may run into this error. Do the recommended fix if you do, and curator should be functional for you.