Curator returns empty output for elasticsearch user

On my Ubuntu Xenial host curator doesn't work at all under elasticsearch user:
root@elastic1:~# su - elasticsearch -s /bin/bash
elasticsearch@elastic1:~ export LC_ALL=C.UTF-8; export LANG=C.UTF-8 elasticsearch@elastic1:~ curator --config /etc/elasticsearch/curator.yml /etc/elasticsearch/curator/actions/dns-retention.yaml
elasticsearch@elastic1:~$

But it works under root user by exporting those locales or if I do the next:

root@elastic1:~# sudo -u elasticsearch export LC_ALL=C.UTF-8; export LANG=C.UTF-8; curator --config /etc/elasticsearch/curator.yml /etc/elasticsearch/curator/actions/dns-retention.yaml

Curator version:
root@elastic1:~# curator --version
curator, version 5.6.0

How to make it work under elasticsearch user? What do I do wrong?

Does the Elasticsearch user have full read privileges to read from /etc/elasticsearch/curator.yml and /etc/elasticsearch/curator/actions/dns-retention.yaml?

Are there SELinux rules that would prevent that user from making outbound network calls?

Does the Elasticsearch user have full read privileges to read from /etc/elasticsearch/curator.yml and /etc/elasticsearch/curator/actions/dns-retention.yaml ?
Yes, it has.

Are there SELinux rules that would prevent that user from making outbound network calls?

How to check it on Ubuntu?

Not an Ubuntu wizard, but in Ubuntu I believe they use app-armor instead of SELinux.

What happens if you log in as the Elasticsearch user, instead of using su?

elasticsearch user doesn't have login permission it is set /bin/false for it in env variables.

Like I said I can execute command via sudo -u elasticsearch export LC_ALL=C.UTF-8; export LANG=C.UTF-8; curator --config /etc/elasticsearch/curator.yml /etc/elasticsearch/curator/actions/dns-retention.yaml

it works fine. But in fact it gives empty ouptput if I do su - elasticsearch -s /bin/bash or If I do it in crontab by setting those locale variables in cron as well.

Another fact is this is an AWS EC2 instance.

That’s probably because cron expects a shell to be able to fork. You’d have to run it out of the root cron like you’ve been doing.

Aaron,

the problem not in cron. When I run curator --help manually under elasticsearch user it doesn't give me an output as well. The root of issue lies in something else but not in cron.

Hold on I was a bit fast with answer. Once I imported locales I am able to see --help output, but command:

curator --config /etc/elasticsearch/curator.yml /etc/elasticsearch/curator/actions/dns-retention.yaml

doesn't give any output.

Try dialing up the loglevel to DEBUG and see what, if anything, comes of it.

It doesn't output anything to logs as well, but looks like I found the root of issue:
if I add elasticsearch into sudoers file with elasticsearch ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:ALL
It works under that user. So the issue lay in sudo privileges for elasticsearch user.

If you’re going to do that, you might as well run it as root. A user without an executable shell is probably the real culprit here. The command you are running simply executes the root user’s chosen shell as the Elasticsearch user. I will test and verify this at some point today, VPN permitting.

Well, how to overcome it in order I do not add a user to sudoers and do not execute command with sudo?

I created 2 users on a test Ubuntu 16.04 VM I have:

has_login:x:2001:2001::/home/has_login:/bin/bash
nologin:x:2002:2002::/home/nologin:/bin/false

This is what I found.

When run as the root user with the user that has a bash shell:

# sudo -u has_login curator --config curator.yml open-test.yml
2019-02-13 14:54:45,098 INFO      Preparing Action ID: 1, "open"
2019-02-13 14:54:45,154 INFO      Trying Action ID: 1, "open": open all indices older than 0 days should only use with --dry-run as test for output
2019-02-13 14:54:45,214 INFO      Opening selected indices: ['.triggered_watches', '.monitoring-alerts-6', '.monitoring-es-6-2019.02.12', '.tasks', '.monitoring-es-6-2019.02.13', '.kibana_2', 'netflow-000002', '.monitoring-kibana-6-2019.02.13', 'netflow-000001', 'netflow-000003', '.monitoring-kibana-6-2019.02.12', '.watcher-history-9-2019.02.12', '.watches', '.watcher-history-9-2019.02.13', '.kibana_1']
2019-02-13 14:54:45,223 INFO      Action ID: 1, "open" completed.
2019-02-13 14:54:45,223 INFO      Job completed.
# su - has_login -c 'curator --config curator.yml open-test.yml'
2019-02-13 14:55:38,720 INFO      Preparing Action ID: 1, "open"
2019-02-13 14:55:38,776 INFO      Trying Action ID: 1, "open": open all indices older than 0 days should only use with --dry-run as test for output
2019-02-13 14:55:38,854 INFO      Opening selected indices: ['.kibana_2', 'netflow-000002', 'netflow-000003', '.tasks', '.watches', '.watcher-history-9-2019.02.12', '.triggered_watches', '.monitoring-alerts-6', '.monitoring-kibana-6-2019.02.13', '.monitoring-kibana-6-2019.02.12', 'netflow-000001', '.monitoring-es-6-2019.02.13', '.watcher-history-9-2019.02.13', '.monitoring-es-6-2019.02.12', '.kibana_1']
2019-02-13 14:55:38,861 INFO      Action ID: 1, "open" completed.
2019-02-13 14:55:38,861 INFO      Job completed.

When I run as the user with /bin/false as the shell:

# sudo -u nologin curator --config /bigdisk/buh/curator_packages/curator.yml /bigdisk/buh/curator_packages/open-test.yml
2019-02-13 14:57:00,627 INFO      Preparing Action ID: 1, "open"
2019-02-13 14:57:00,683 INFO      Trying Action ID: 1, "open": open all indices older than 0 days should only use with --dry-run as test for output
2019-02-13 14:57:00,743 INFO      Opening selected indices: ['.kibana_1', '.monitoring-es-6-2019.02.13', '.monitoring-kibana-6-2019.02.13', '.watcher-history-9-2019.02.13', 'netflow-000002', '.monitoring-alerts-6', '.watches', '.triggered_watches', 'netflow-000003', '.watcher-history-9-2019.02.12', '.monitoring-es-6-2019.02.12', '.tasks', '.kibana_2', '.monitoring-kibana-6-2019.02.12', 'netflow-000001']
2019-02-13 14:57:00,751 INFO      Action ID: 1, "open" completed.
2019-02-13 14:57:00,752 INFO      Job completed.

# su - nologin -c 'curator --config /bigdisk/buh/curator_packages/curator.yml /bigdisk/buh/curator_packages/open-test.yml'
# (NO OUTPUT)

In other words, the user must have a shell if you plan on using su -. If you allow your sudoers file to have a blanket "Elasticsearch user can do anything", i.e., elasticsearch ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:ALL, this is a security risk. It's much safer to have a plain user with an executing shell, and just let that user have a crontab entry:

# su - elasticsearch
$ crontab -l
no crontab for elasticsearch
$ crontab -e
< add 0 2 * * * /usr/bin/curator --config /etc/elasticsearch/curator.yml /etc/elasticsearch/curator/actions/dns-retention.yaml or something like it >
$ crontab -l
0 2 * * * /usr/bin/curator --config /etc/elasticsearch/curator.yml /etc/elasticsearch/curator/actions/dns-retention.yaml

Aaron,

thank you for the investigation, but I actually set shell for that user:
chsh --shell /bin/bash elasticsearch

but is still didn't work after it.

So, now that the elasticsearch user has a shell, does it also have a home directory?

elasticsearch:x:1000:1000:Elasticsearch User,,,:/home/elasticsearch:/bin/bash

What happens when you su - elasticsearch?

# su - elasticsearch

$ curator --help
Usage: curator [OPTIONS] ACTION_FILE

Curator for Elasticsearch indices.

See http://elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/client/curator/current

Options:
  --config PATH  Path to configuration file. Default: ~/.curator/curator.yml
  --dry-run      Do not perform any changes.
  --version      Show the version and exit.
  --help         Show this message and exit.
$

What happens if you switch to the elasticsearch user and then execute?

elasticsearch:x:112:116::/home/elasticsearch:/bin/bash
elasticsearch@elastic1:~ export LC_ALL=C.UTF-8; export LANG=C.UTF-8 elasticsearch@elastic1:~ curator --help
Usage: curator [OPTIONS] ACTION_FILE

Curator for Elasticsearch indices.

See http://elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/client/curator/current

Options:
--config PATH Path to configuration file. Default: ~/.curator/curator.yml
--dry-run Do not perform any changes.
--version Show the version and exit.
--help Show this message and exit.

elasticsearch@elastic1:~ curator --config /etc/elasticsearch/curator.yml /etc/elasticsearch/curator/actions/dns-retention.yaml elasticsearch@elastic1:~

As you can see the last command didn't give an output.

This suggests that the Elasticsearch user may not have read permissions to one of those files. This can be verified:

$ cat /etc/elasticsearch/curator.yml
... (output)
$ cat /etc/elasticsearch/curator/actions/dns-retention.yaml
... (output)

Barring this, as previously stated, it could be that the user cannot open a socket (also permissions).

It has permissions, I am able to cat both of those files under elasticsearch user.

Okay. Does this execute fully when executed as root? If so, it implies that root has permission to do something that the Elasticsearch user does not.

Does this execute fully when executed as root?
I removed elasticsearch from sudoers so it is not being executed as root now.

Being added to sudoers command is being executed properly.