Curl: (7) couldn't connect to host

Good Afternoon team,

I keeping receiving this error. any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

rob

You really need to share more info for us to be able to effectively assist you.

What version are you on?
What is the exact command and exact response you are receiving?
Have you looked at your Elasticsearch logs?

I understand. Sorry about that.

Version 6.4.2

Command executing:

curl -XGET :9200(port address)
response receiving: curl: (7) couldn't connect to host

set-up: attempting to cluster a 10-node cluster

3 nodes will be able to be the master, 6 are data , the last one is ingest node

Yes, I have looked at the logs and I get a series of errors:

stating that there is error at line, so and so
log4j error - only logging in console

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

rob

To add:

the comment extracted ip address:9200 from my comment - i guess for security reasons

$ curl --help | grep ^Usage
Usage: curl [options...] <url>
$ 

url consists of host/ip and optionally port, in your example you only have port but no host or ip

Why did you not specify ip address?

pls elaborate alexus. I am missing host for curl??

rob

would have to stay unstated for security reasons.

thanks,

rob

I hope you do not have an unsecured cluster exposed to the internet.

Have you verified you do not have any firewall rules preventing you to access the host you are querying?

Negative sir...dev env.

share some logs from elasticsearch

ok...have to leave for today...my shift is up...will have to you tomorrow if ok.

thanks,

rob

Starting elasticsearch: Exception in thread "main" 2019-01-03 08:50:01,998 main ERROR No Log4j 2 configuration file found. Using default configuration (logging only errors to the console), or user programmatically provided configurations. S et system property 'log4j2.debug' to show Log4j 2 internal initialization loggin g. See https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/manual/configuration.html for instru ctions on how to configure Log4j 2
SettingsException[Failed to load settings from [elasticsearch.yml]]; nested: Mar kedYAMLException[while scanning a simple key
in 'reader', line 120, column 1:
Configuration------------------- ...
^
could not find expected ':'
in 'reader', line 121, column 1:

So you modified elasticsearch.yml file and it's now badly formatted most likely

Fix it.

Hi David,

What is the fix on something like this? I did go in and tried to remove some spaces and what not, but no success.

Thanks,

Rob

I can't tell without seeing it.

Ok. Here you go Sir. Amen brother. I see you are a Christian. Awesome!

See below:

Starting elasticsearch: Exception in thread "main" 2019-01-03 08:50:01,998 main ERROR No Log4j 2 configuration file found. Using default configuration (logging only errors to the console), or user programmatically provided configurations. S et system property 'log4j2.debug' to show Log4j 2 internal initialization loggin g. See https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/manual/configuration.html for instru ctions on how to configure Log4j 2
SettingsException[Failed to load settings from [elasticsearch.yml]]; nested: Mar kedYAMLException[while scanning a simple key
^
xpack.ssl.keystore.path: /etc/el ...
^

at [Source: sun.nio.ch.ChannelInputStream@5b94b04d; line: 118, column: 54]]; ne sted: ScannerException[while scanning a simple key
^
xpack.ssl.keystore.path: /etc/el ...

I was unclear probably. I can't tell without seeing your elasticsearch.yml file.

Copy its content here unmodified and apply on it the formatting tool (</> icon) or share the raw file on gist.github.com.

Sorry. Can you repeat/rephrase the request?

Rob

he means: Copy and Paste your entire elasticsearch.yml file here, but when you do so, highlight the whole text and use the </> icon in the toolbar to make the syntax of the file easier to read

2 Likes