"field_to_check": "old_value",
"field_to_update": "old_value"
}

POST /test_index-2024-04-18/_doc
{
"field_to_check": "old_value",
"field_to_update": "old_value"
}

Now I want to create watcher on top of this index for some background work. I created watcher something like below but not able to change index based on current date.

PUT /_watcher/watch/test_watch
{
"trigger": {
"schedule": {
"interval": "10s"
}
},
"input": {
"search": {
"request": {
"indices": [
"test_index-2024-04-17"
],
"body": {
"query": {
"match": {
"field_to_check": "old_value"
}
}
}
}
}
},
"condition": {
"compare": {
"ctx.payload.hits.total": {
"gt": 0
}
}
},
"actions": {
"log_hits": {
"logging" : {
"text" : "Watcher triggered !!!"
}
}
}
}

Please help me in solving this issue.

Hello, I didn't quite understand. What do you want to do with your Watcher? Does it have to work for all your indexes? One watcher per index?

I want one watcher only and whenever watcher will invoke, it will take that day index.
Hope it help.

Something like "test_index-{now/d}"

I don't know if it's possible to do this in the "index" section, but you could create a data view that groups all your indexes together, for example "test-index*". Then you can use the query system and the condition to filter the right index.

can you please help me via some example?

There an example in the documentation : Script query | Elasticsearch Guide [8.13] | Elastic

GET /_search
{
"runtime_mappings": {
"amount.signed": {
"type": "double",
"script": """
double amount = doc['amount'].value;
if (doc['type'].value == 'expense') {
amount *= -1;
}
emit(amount);
"""
}
},
"query": {
"bool": {
"filter": {
"range": {
"amount.signed": { "lt": 10 }
}
}
}
},
"fields": [{"field": "amount.signed"}]
}

In this example, the query uses a script as a filter.

The first part corresponds to a runtime field (a calculated field). You can modify this script to extract the date contained in the name of your index (the _index field).
The second part corresponds to the filter, in this case based on the value returned by the runtime field

I think this query could be simplified, by creating a runtime field directly in your dataview. This runtime field would return the date contained in your index name. Then, you could use this runtime field to filter your Watcher query.

So :

• create a data view that includes all your indexes (test-index*)
  • inside this dataview, create un runtime field that extracts the date contained in the index name, thanks to the _index field
  • then, run a query in your watcher based on this runtime field

I don't know if there are other solutions, but this is personally how I'd do it.