Data disappearing and new uuid

I'm trying to load around 20 GB of data into an index. My problem is that while I do this, all of a sudden the uuid, docs.count and store.size changes after querying:
curl http://localhost:9200/_cat/indices?v
An example:
green open be eEufIf0GTUmBNsFOhgu7Nw 5 1 935877 41632 15.8gb 7.9gb

I get this response. Then after some more files have been uploaded into ES, same query gives me:

green open be oZxXwAAoRiS0Vt6XsGSUzw 5 1 462018 7922 4.6gb 2.2gb

A different uuid, half the number of docs and a third of the storage.
Anyone has a clue of what's happening? My cluster is totally isolated from internet within GCP with no external ip:s.

Could you share your logs? Formatted please.

2019-04-06T15:35:06,021][WARN ][o.e.a.b.TransportShardBulkAction] [elasticsearch-elastic-vm-0] 
unexpected error during the primary phase for action [indices:data/write/bulk[s]], request 
[BulkShardRequest [[be][4]] containing [524] requests]
org.elasticsearch.index.IndexNotFoundException: no such index
    at org.elasticsearch.cluster.routing.RoutingTable.shardRoutingTable(RoutingTable.java:137) ~ . 
[elasticsearch-5.6.8.jar:5.6.8] at 
org.elasticsearch.action.support.replication.TransportReplicationAction
$ReroutePhase.primary(TransportReplicationAction.java:745) ~[elasticsearch-5.6.8.jar:5.6.8]
    at org.elasticsearch.action.support.replication.TransportReplicationAction
$ReroutePhase.doRun(TransportReplicationAction.java:680) ~[elasticsearch-5.6.8.jar:5.6.8]
    at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.AbstractRunnable.run(AbstractRunnable.java:37) ~     
[elasticsearch-5.6.8.jar:5.6.8]
$ReroutePhase$2.onNewClusterState(TransportReplicationAction.java:835) ~[elasticsearch- 
5.6.8.jar:5.6.8]
    at org.elasticsearch.cluster.ClusterStateObserver$ContextPreservingListener.
onNewClusterState(ClusterStateObserver.java:297) ~[elasticsearch-5.6.8.jar:5.6.8]
    at org.elasticsearch.cluster.ClusterStateObserver$ObserverClusterStateListener.
clusterChanged(ClusterStateObserver.java:185) ~[elasticsearch-5.6.8.jar:5.6.8]
    at org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.ClusterService.lambda$publishAndApplyChanges
$7(ClusterService.java:777) ~[elasticsearch-5.6.8.jar:5.6.8]
    at java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap$KeySpliterator.forEachRemaining
(ConcurrentHashMap.java:3527) [?:1.8.0_181]
    at java.util.stream.Streams$ConcatSpliterator.forEachRemaining(Streams.java:743) [?:1.8.0_181]
    at java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline$Head.forEach(ReferencePipeline.java:580) [?:1.8.0_181]
    at org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.ClusterService.publishAndApplyChanges
 (ClusterService.java:774) [elasticsearch-5.6.8.jar:5.6.8]
    at org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.ClusterService.runTasks(ClusterService.java:587) 
    at 
org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.ClusterService$ClusterServiceTaskBatcher.
run(ClusterService.java:263) [elasticsearch-5.6.8.jar:5.6.8]
    at org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.TaskBatcher.runIfNotProcessed(TaskBatcher.java:150) 
    at org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.TaskBatcher$BatchedTask.run(TaskBatcher.java:188) 
    at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.ThreadContext$ContextPreservingRunnable.run
(ThreadContext.java:575) [elasticsearch-5.6.8.jar:5.6.8]
 at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.PrioritizedEsThreadPoolExecutor
$TieBreakingPrioritizedRunnable.runAndClean(PrioritizedEsThreadPoolExecutor.java:247) 
    at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.PrioritizedEsThreadPoolExecutor
$TieBreakingPrioritizedRunnable.run(PrioritizedEsThreadPoolExecutor.java:210) [elasticsearch- 
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) 
[?:1.8.0_181]
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) 
[?:1.8.0_181]
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:1.8.0_181]
[2019-04-06T15:35:06,028][WARN ][o.e.a.b.TransportShardBulkAction] [elasticsearch-elastic-vm-0] 
unexpected error during the primary phase for action [indices:data/write/bulk[s]], request 
[BulkShardRequest [[be][1]] containing [468] requests]
org.elasticsearch.index.IndexNotFoundException: no such index
    at org.elasticsearch.cluster.routing.RoutingTable.shardRoutingTable(RoutingTable.java:137) ~ . 
    at 
org.elasticsearch.action.support.replication.TransportReplicationAction
$ReroutePhase.primary(TransportReplicationAction.java:745) ~[elasticsearch-5.6.8.jar:5.6.8]
$ReroutePhase.doRun(TransportReplicationAction.java:680) ~[elasticsearch-5.6.8.jar:5.6.8]
    at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.AbstractRunnable.run(AbstractRunnable.java:37) ~     
$ReroutePhase$2.onNewClusterState(TransportReplicationAction.java:835) ~[elasticsearch- 
(TransportReplicationAction.java:835) ~[elasticsearch-5.6.8.jar:5.6.8]
    at 
org.elasticsearch.cluster.ClusterStateObserver$ContextPreservingListener.
onNewClusterState(ClusterStateObserver.java:297) ~[elasticsearch-5.6.8.jar:5.6.8]
    at 
org.elasticsearch.cluster.ClusterStateObserver$ObserverClusterStateListener.
clusterChanged(ClusterStateObserver.java:185) ~[elasticsearch-5.6.8.jar:5.6.8]
    at org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.ClusterService.lambda$publishAndApplyChanges
$7(ClusterService.java:777) ~[elasticsearch-5.6.8.jar:5.6.8]
    at java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap$KeySpliterator.forEachRemaining
(ConcurrentHashMap.java:3527) [?:1.8.0_181]
    at java.util.stream.Streams$ConcatSpliterator.forEachRemaining(Streams.java:743) [?:1.8.0_181]
    at java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline$Head.forEach(ReferencePipeline.java:580) [?:1.8.0_181]
    at 
org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.ClusterService.publishAndApplyChanges(ClusterService.java:774) 
    at org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.ClusterService.runTasks(ClusterService.java:587) [elasticsearch-5.6.8.jar:5.6.8]
    at org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.ClusterService$ClusterServiceTaskBatcher.run(ClusterService.java:263) [elasticsearch-5.6.8.jar:5.6.8]
    at org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.TaskBatcher.runIfNotProcessed(TaskBatcher.java:150) [elasticsearch-5.6.8.jar:5.6.8]
    at org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.TaskBatcher$BatchedTask.run(TaskBatcher.java:188) [elasticsearch-5.6.8.jar:5.6.8]
    at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.ThreadContext$ContextPreservingRunnable.run(ThreadContext.java:575) [elasticsearch-5.6.8.jar:5.6.8]
    at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.PrioritizedEsThreadPoolExecutor$TieBreakingPrioritizedRunnable.runAndClean(PrioritizedEsThreadPoolExecutor.java:247) [elasticsearch-5.6.8.jar:5.6.8]
    at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.PrioritizedEsThreadPoolExecutor$TieBreakingPrioritizedRunnable.run(PrioritizedEsThreadPoolExecutor.java:210) [elasticsearch-5.6.8.jar:5.6.8]
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) [?:1.8.0_181]

Could you share the full logs? You can upload them on gist.github.com

Pew, thats a lot of logs :slight_smile: I hope I got all the relevant ones.
I'm quite new to elasticsearch, but it seems to be some issue with the bulk-import, that it can't find the index and then creates a new one?

That is a lot of logs, but not many of them come from Elasticsearch. Could you share more of the Elasticsearch server logs?

Also can you tell us a bit more about this cluster? How many nodes does it have? Can you share the elasticsearch.yml files from each node?

1 Like

My cluster has 3 nodes and elasticsearch.yml looks like this:
(the other looks the same, with different names)

cluster.name: "elasticsearch-cluster"
node.name: "elasticsearch-elastic-vm-0"

path.data: /var/lib/elasticsearch/data
network.host: 0.0.0.0

discovery.zen.ping_timeout: 30s
discovery.zen.fd.ping_timeout: 30s

discovery.zen.minimum_master_nodes: 2 
discovery.zen.ping.unicast.hosts: [ "elasticsearch-elastic-vm-0", "elasticsearch-elastic-vm-1", 
"elasticsearch-elastic-vm-2" ]

The server logs, is it these?

elasticsearch-cluster-2019-04-02.log  elasticsearch-cluster-2019-04-05.log             
elasticsearch- cluster_index_search_slowlog.log
elasticsearch-cluster-2019-04-03.log  
elasticsearch-cluster_deprecation.log             
elasticsearch-cluster.log
elasticsearch-cluster-2019-04-04.log  elasticsearch-cluster_index_indexing_slowlog.log

Yes, particularly elasticsearch-cluster.log and the ones of the form elasticsearch-cluster-YYYY-MM-DD.log. Are you saying that they only contain this unexpected error during the primary phase, on all three of your nodes?

Ok, here's logs from all three nodes.

Node 0, didn't log anything yesterday 2019-04-06.

Thanks. The key line is this one:

[2019-04-07T09:12:15,357][INFO ][o.e.c.m.MetaDataDeleteIndexService] [elasticsearch-elastic-vm-1] [be/Mae2qxonSxKWCPgJwL6Wlg] deleting index

Someone or something is deleting the index.

1 Like

Thanks for the help! I'm the only one with access to the cluster, so what could trigger a delete of an Index like that? Am I loading too much data too fast?

Is your cluster open to the internet and accessible via a public IP?

Nope, no external IP:s. It's on GCP within the VPC(virtual private network) and I access it directly from Appengine. If I need to get into the machines, I spin up a bastion-host to SSH into the machine with ES.

No, Elasticsearch definitely doesn't delete anything unless explicitly instructed. From Elasticsearch's point of view there must be something calling DELETE /be (or the transport client equivalent) or using the remove_index command of the Index Aliases API.

There was a bug in my code :blush:. I thought I was deleting a document but ended up deleting the entire index. My mistake, Thanks for the help!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.