Data encryption in Elasticsearch

I would like to know if is possible to encrypt data with Elasticsearch. In afirmative case, from which major version is possible?

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards

What kind of encryption are you looking for? In transit? At rest? Specific fields in a document?

Encryption in transit has been available a long time but has only in recent versions been made available as part of the free basic license. Encryption at rest typically requires a tool like dm-crypt as there is no built in support. Encrypting parts of documents is as far as I know not supported at all.

Hi Christian!!

I am refering about encrypt some fields inside a Elaticsearch document. I don't see anything inside the official documentation.

Best Regards
Thanks

I think you need to use Logstash cipher filter for this use case: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/logstash/current/plugins-filters-cipher.html

It has nothing to do with Elasticsearch though, so you need to decrypt the fields by yourself.

Hi Javier,

if you refer to encryption of stored data you can try using a filesystem which supports encryption like ZFS.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.