Data node as Master Node

Is it good to have a cluster with the following

2 Ingest Nodes (doesnt do anything except routing the bulk request)
5 Data nodes (Also as master nodes)
1 coord node

I see in documentation - there should be dedicated master nodes. Let me know the best practice.

The 2 ingest nodes won't be then ingest nodes but coordinating nodes.
Ingest nodes are meant to execute an ingest pipeline which you does not seem to use here.

Dedicated master nodes are indeed a plus. Specifically if you have big cluster state. But not mandatory for "small" clusters.

Thanks much David !

would it make a difference to convert the ingest to coordinator node ? if we are just using it for sending the data to data nodes.

Also if i understood right - if cluster has more than 10+ data nodes its good to have dedicated master nodes. where the recommendation is 3 master nodes.

I'm unsure if you need 3 coordinating nodes. That depends on what you are doing and how much data you are ingesting per day.

Also if i understood right - if cluster has more than 10+ data nodes its good to have dedicated master nodes. where the recommendation is 3 master nodes.

Yes.

May I suggest you look at the following resources about sizing:

And https://www.elastic.co/webinars/using-rally-to-get-your-elasticsearch-cluster-size-right

Yes we need 3 ingest nodes, sometimes we see one ingest node receives 95% of the load and that causes the indexing rate to go down.

Is there a better way to handle this situation ?

Looks this

I ask pretty much same question earlier

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.