Date math in Kibana 5

(Andrej Rosenheinrich) #1

Hi,

probably a classic and simple to answer, but as I found quite different answers to several questions about date math in Kibana I want to ask here if and how date math is supported in the current 5.0 version of kibana.
Basicly I want to do e.g range queries on a date field, something like @timestamp:[NOW/DAY TO NOW] or @timestamp[NOW-7DAY TO NOW]. I found some examples like this but they aint work for me. Is that possible in kibana at the moment and if so how?

Thanks,
Andrej

(Peter Pisljar) #2

You could try to use the timepicker to do that. You can define relative time ranges. Let me know if this answers your question.

regards, Peter

(Andrej Rosenheinrich) #3

Hi Peter,

thanks for your fast answer, but no, it doesnt solve my problem. I want to do it query wise and independent from timepicker. In a dashboard timepicker affects all visualizations, if I e.g have a metric that should display todays values this is not useful, because it will not be today but what timepicker selects. A query @timestamp[NOW/DAY TO NOW] on a pattern without events will always show only todays values, no matter what other visualizations do.

Regards,
Andrej

(Peter Pisljar) #4

this seems to work well @timestamp:[now-1d TO now]

(Andrej Rosenheinrich) #5

Trying this on a @timestamp field with mapping type date I am getting: Error: Request to Elasticsearch failed: {"error":{"root_cause":[{"type":"parse_exception","reason":"could not read the current timestamp"}] ...

What mapping are you using for your field? Anything I have to enable in kibana or elasticsearch config?

(Peter Pisljar) #6
 "@timestamp": {
            "type": "date"
          },

(Peter Pisljar) #7

default install of elasticsearch 5.0.1 and kibana 5.0.1 with makelogs data

(Andrej Rosenheinrich) #8

Ok, a bit more stacktrace:

Error: Request to Elasticsearch failed: {"error":{"root_cause":[{"type":"parse_exception","reason":"could not read the current timestamp"}],"type":"search_phase_execution_exception","reason":"all shards failed","phase":"query_fetch","grouped":true,"failed_shards":[{"shard":0,"index":"indexname","node":"nodeidhere","reason":{"type":"parse_exception","reason":"could not read the current timestamp","caused_by":{"type":"illegal_argument_exception","reason":"features that prevent cachability are disabled on this context"}}}],"caused_by":{"type":"parse_exception","reason":"could not read the current timestamp","caused_by":{"type":"illegal_argument_exception","reason":"features that prevent cachability are disabled on this context"}}},"status":400}

I am running 5.0.0. May be this is related to https://github.com/elastic/elasticsearch/issues/21457 ? I will try to run 5.0.1.

(Andrej Rosenheinrich) #9

This is indeed a bug in version 5.0.0. Updating to 5.0.1 solved the problem and your query is working now. Thanks for confirmation, it kept me going on the problem :wink:

(system) #10

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.