Dealing with array data

I'm new to Kibana and have an issue I'm trying to resolve.

I have some JSON that is similiar to the following:

"service": {
{
"protocol": "tcp",
"port": "80",
"address": "127.0.0.1"
},
{
"address": "192.168.0.1"
},
{
"address": "172.16.0.1"
}
}

It's my understanding that Kibana 4 doesn't support arrays so that data is displayed in Kibana as one big string value under the "service" key. I need to be able to use the "address" field for visualizations and other analytics so I modified the script that parses the source data to add an index field for each instance. For example:

"service": {
"0": {
"address": "127.0.0.1"
},
"1": {
"address": "192.168.0.1"
},
"2": {
"address": "172.16.0.1"
}
}

Now I have unique fields like "service.0.address" which is good, but I want to visualize in a data table. Is there anyway to use wildcards in a filter or something that would effectively merge the values into one table? For example, I'd like to display the top 10 addresses found in ANY "service.*.address" field given that the same address value could be located in any one of the address keys.

1 Like

First off, the value for the "service" key in your example is an object, not an array. I'm assuming that's a typo, but if not it might change things a bit.

That said, you should be able to do a terms aggregation on the inner objects. For example, I have some documents here with inner objects under a "relatedContent" key:

I can see the top 10 values for relatedContent.url by creating a data table with a terms aggregation on that sub-field:

Let me know how that works for you.

2 Likes

Thanks! I was able to get that to work. I could have sworn I tried that numerous times but was only getting the Count column and not the count of individual values.

Thanks again,
ktwo

1 Like

Awesome, glad it worked!