Dealing with multiple date fields

Hello,

We are dealing with an index that contains multiple date type fields. The structure, summarized, is below:

"entry_date": {
      "type": "date",
      "ignore_malformed": false,
      "format": "yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss"
    },
    "exit_date": {
      "type": "date",
      "ignore_malformed": false,
      "format": "yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss"
    },

Imagine that the index stores information about shops capacity, including when a customer goes in and out of the store.

In any moment, how can we obtain how many customers does the shop have in?

Example:

Client 1:

• entry_date 2020-09-20 10:40:22
  • exit_date 2020-09-20 11:22:06

Client 2:

• entry_date 2020-09-20 11:00:12
  • exit_date 2020-09-20 11:15:32

At 2020-09-20 11:05:00 (for example) there were two customers inside the shop. How can I visualize that info with Kibana?

Appreciate any help.
Thanks in advance.
:slightly_smiling_face:

If you have a metric visualization that simply displays the number of documents found, in combination with a kibana KQL query for exit_date > 11:05 and entry_date < 11:05?

1 Like

That could work for a specific date (example 11:05).
But, could we extend that and create a date histogram with that info every moment?

Thanks @spinscale

You can also take a look at the date_range field type, which you can use with a date_histogram aggregation in Kibana. Console example:

PUT visitors
{
  "mappings": {
    "properties": {
      "visiting_time": {
        "type": "date_range"
      }
    }
  }
}

PUT visitors/_doc/client1
{
  "visiting_time" : {
    "gte" : "2020-09-20T10:40:22Z", 
    "lte" : "2020-09-20T11:22:06Z"
  }
}

PUT visitors/_doc/client2
{
  "visiting_time" : {
    "gte" : "2020-09-20T11:00:12Z", 
    "lte" : "2020-09-20T11:15:32Z"
  }
}

GET visitors/_search
{
  "size": 0,
  "aggs": {
    "by_day": {
      "date_histogram": {
        "field": "visiting_time",
        "fixed_interval": "15m"
      }
    }
  }
}

Thanks for your help @spinscale, I think we are close to the solution .

As you show, it works perfect on Dev Console, and your aggregation returns the results I expect :slight_smile: Thanks!

However, when trying to visualize on Kibana I can see that kibana index pattern does not map the visiting_time neither date nor date_range and it seems to be the reason why I can not make visualizations with that data.

I attach two screenshots about that:

However I can not perform the aggregation you suggested before. Am I misunderstanding anything?

PS: I'm using 7.9.1versions.

Thanks.

you're right, indeed this does not seem to be supported currently. You can follow the issue at https://github.com/elastic/kibana/issues/12751 for maybe also leave a comment - if you need Kibana support then this is not an option currently, sorry for that misdirection.

Do you think there is another way to visualize on kibana?

I have been reading lots of discussions like Display concurrency in data on Kibana but that script didn't worked for me.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.