Deleted ES indices coming back

I am running Elastic stack v7.2 in Azure Kubernetes for logging and monitoring of containerized applications. I have 3 master + 2 data node configuration. I am using ES curator which is scheduled to run once daily to delete the indices which are older than 4 days. Even though the ES Curator successfully deletes the older indices but they do came back. How is this happening? Please see the error logs below from the ES server

{"type": "server", "timestamp": "2020-04-15T21:41:16,415+0000", "level": "INFO", "component": "o.e.i.IndexingMemoryController", "cluster.name": "es-eic-logs", "node.name": "elasticsearch-data-0", "cluster.uuid": "dTg5I7svTnCy1_eOkXw7gw", "node.id": "EoTA9f6bSNGDTZQ5T3oQfw",  "message": "now throttling indexing for shard [[filebeat-k8-7.2.0-2019.10.17][0]]: segment writing can't keep up"  }

You see that the error message is for filebeat index which was supposed to be created on 17-Oct-2019 and it was supposed to be deleted by 21 Oct 2019. Even when I manually delete the indices they do come back after a short interval. Can some one help in understanding how these indices are coming up? I am not explicitly POSTing data to any of the back dated indices nor should the applications be doing it.

Below is the response from cluster health API for my cluster

{
  "cluster_name" : "es-eic-logs",
  "status" : "green",
  "timed_out" : false,
  "number_of_nodes" : 5,
  "number_of_data_nodes" : 2,
  "active_primary_shards" : 114,
  "active_shards" : 228,
  "relocating_shards" : 0,
  "initializing_shards" : 0,
  "unassigned_shards" : 0,
  "delayed_unassigned_shards" : 0,
  "number_of_pending_tasks" : 0,
  "number_of_in_flight_fetch" : 0,
  "task_max_waiting_in_queue_millis" : 0,
  "active_shards_percent_as_number" : 100.0
}

Something is asking for these to be re-created. What version are you on?

v7.2.0

Have you looked to see what documents are in the returning indices? If they were deleted, truly they cannot come back, but the index would be recreated if new logs were fed to them.

When I have seen this behavior in the past, it has been indices created by only a few documents, rather than the previously full indices.

Before ILM, when you create indices based on @timestamp AND you use @timestamp from the log, an old log event would create a corresponding old index. New winlogbeat installs on old servers without ignore_older was the common cause.

ILM writes only to the is_write_alias: true index, so your old indices are safe, can be made read-only and have segments merged :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes I looked into the documents of the back dated indices and I found that they were logs of some of my containerized applications and filebeat as well. But the surprising thing is that, these containerized applications are not running anymore in my K8 cluster. They used to run approx 6 months back. Now I need to SSH into my K8 nodes to get access to var/lib/docker/container path to get more clarity. And yes, you are right that these created indices only have a few documents, rather than the previously full indices.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.