Disable _source field

Hello,

I'm currently working on optimizing the size of an index. After reviewing the documentation and analyzing the field sizes, I found that a significant portion of the document size is attributed to the _source field. In an attempt to reduce the size of this index, I disabled the _source field. However, I noticed that after disabling it, none of the other fields except for _idx and some default fields are visible in Kibana.

Now I'm wondering if it's possible to disable the _source field without losing the visibility of all the other fields. Or perhaps I have misunderstood the purpose of the _source field in the context of reducing the index size.

Thank you, Best regards

Hi @Mhag,

Disabling the _source field is not recommended and there is a warning in the documentation of the impact it can have.

Which version of Elasticsearch are you using? Depending on the version you are using, you could consider using synthetic_source which means the source field is regenerated. Just a warning that as of 8.8 it is still in technical preview for non-TSDB indices.

Hi @carly.richmond ,

Thanks for your response, I use version 8.6.

the synthetic trick didn't help, the size of my test index was 1.38 mb with 308 events if I enable synthetic _source the size is more ?!

Regrads

I'm not sure you will see a noticeable difference when you are talking about megs/hundreds of documents, and you'd be better off testing gigs/millions of documents.

1 Like

Whenever you are comparing storage size on disk I recommend forcemerging down to a single segment before comparing as the size on disk can vary a lot for small data volumes if segment count and distribution differs.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.