Disabling check for non existing indices

Hi,

I have already used ELK 5.2 and i'm now testing ELK 5.6.7 (currently, the latest 5+ version).

When i'm automatically setting up my Elastic node, i configure the Kibana index-pattern.
Basically, I send some HTTP requests to the my elasticsearch. For example, for the index-pattern "syslog-*" i perform this kind of POST request:

curl -XPOST localhost:9200/.kibana/index-pattern/syslog-*/_create [...]

However, I encounter some error when i'm connecting to Kibana:

No matching indices found: No indices match pattern "syslog-*"

Right, since at this time Elastic does not have any "syslog-[...]" indices.

After some investigation, I found that the Kibana backend API is responsible of this error:

localhost:5601/api/index_patterns/_fields_for_wildcard?pattern=syslog-*

In Kibana 5.2 i didn't encounter any error when my Elasticsearch indices were not existing (probably because this API was not part of this version).

Is there a way to disable this type of error on Kibana (through its configuration file for example) or any workaround to don't check that the indices exist in Elasticsearch ?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Best regards,

(Marius Dragomir) #2

Hello,

This seems to be an open issue, we're investigating it. You can follow it for any updates.

Hi Marius,

Thanks for your answer, but i guess that it's not the same "issue".

In fact, I can create index pattern even with non existing Elastic indices (at the opposite of the issue given in your link).

In my case, i would like to disable the error message ("No matching indices found: [...]") that is displayed when i have an index pattern but no data in Elastic, thus no indices.

(Marius Dragomir) #4

That is not configurable afaik, so you would have to modify the source an rebuild Kibana in order to remove that.

Yes, it seems that it's not configurable so I have modified the source code and rebuilt Kibana.

A possible way to do this, is to modify the file src/ui/public/index_patterns/_index_patterns.js and its refreshFields() function.

Its original content is the following one (comments has been removed):

refreshFields() {
  return fetchFields(this)
  .then(() => this.save())
  .catch((err) => {
    notify.error(err);
    if (err instanceof IndexPatternMissingIndices) {
      return [];
    }
    throw err;
  });
}

The modification performed to hide the error message is the following:

refreshFields() {
  return fetchFields(this)
  .then(() => this.save())
  .catch((err) => {
    if (err instanceof IndexPatternMissingIndices) {
      return [];
    }
    notify.error(err);
    throw err;
  });
}

Here, an error will be propagated but no error notification will be created, thus displayed in the Kibana interface.

(system) #6

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.