Discovery.zen.ping.unicast.hosts question

Hello,

I am ready to add some nodes to my 1 node cluster. But to do so, I have to add the list of hosts to my discovery.zen.ping.unicast.hosts array. It is in the configuration file, that means I have to restart my node?

In the future, If I want to add some extra nodes, how can I do this without changing this discovery.zen.ping.unicast.hosts property (and therefore restart my nodes)?

regards

In theory you only need to identify one discovery host (node) for a new node to be able to join the cluster, but since that node may be down it's better to add several discovery nodes.

In the clusters I work with, where I use the minimum of 3 master eligible nodes, I always identify those 3 nodes in discovery.zen.ping.unicast.hosts but never any of the data nodes, since I will probably never have to add more master eligible nodes while I may continue to add data nodes to expand cluster capacity.

So once you've grown your cluster big enough to warrant a fixed number of master eligible nodes just add those nodes to your discovery settings and never change it again.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.