Does Rally support benchmarking partial updates (doc_as_upsert)

Hi team,

I have a use case where I need to do partial updates to a document.

Example

POST /index/mapping/1/_update
{
"doc" : {
"name" : "A",
},
"doc_as_upsert" : true
}

POST /index/mapping/1/_update
{
"doc" : {
"age" : 23,
},
"doc_as_upsert" : true
}

output
{"id" : 1, "name": "A", "age": 20}

Can rally support this? If not, do you have any recommendations on how to benchmark this scenario?

Thanks

Hi @Zixuan_Liu,

Rally does not support the update API out of the box. However, you can write a so-called custom runner and use the Python client's update() method.

However, that solves only part of the problem. You also need a way to specify the documents that you want to update. This is what so-called parameter sources are meant for. It depends a bit how you provide the documents to upsert.

• The simplest case would be to use just a dict or to generate the documents on the fly. Then you can write a parameter source similar to the one in the documentation.
  • Alternatively you could also read them from a file. However, this is more complicated, especially if you want to use this with multiple clients. For bulk-indexing Rally provides a pretty generic solution that allows you to read portions a file with an arbitrary number of clients but it is by far the most complex parameter source. In your special case, however, you might get away with a less generic solution: You could create one file per client. If you want to go down that route I think our bulk parameter source could still serve as a starting point.

I hope that helps you to get started.

Daniel

Thanks for the insights. Will start from there

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.