Does WorkplaceSearch support GoogleChat?

Does WorkplaceSearch include GoogleChat in its content sources?

The following page does not have it, so it does not appear to be supported at this time.

If it is not currently supported, is there a plan to support it in the future?

The page you link lists all our out-of-the-box content sources, so you are correct, we do not currently support Google Chat. You can use the Custom Source API to index your Google Chat data, however.

We don't publish our plans for future OOTB content sources. However, if you have a support relationship with Elastic, I'll encourage you to file an Enhancement Request, as we use those to help us prioritize which sources we add next.

Thank you for your answer.

I understand.
I'm sorry for the pressure.
I don't have the right to submit a request yet, but I may do so in the future.

How can I use the custom source API to index GoogleChat data?
I'd like to hear more about it.

Hi @its-ogawa ,

Sorry for the delay, I must have missed the notification of your reply. You can read about using Custom Sources here: Connecting custom sources | Workplace Search Guide [7.13] | Elastic. And these are the relevant API references:

We are currently experimenting with custom content.
I was able to register my online document.

What I wanted to ask here is an idea for incorporating Google Chat into custom content.
Google chat is content that is used by each user's account and is added to many times a day.
Can I successfully incorporate these into my content source?

I think that falls outside the scope of this discuss forum. I'm not familiar with Google Chat, or any APIs or clients it has. We don't currently have any official, open, Elastic implementations using Custom Sources that I can point you to as an example. However, I can tell you, you'll need to consider:

• what will constitute a document (a single post? a whole thread?)
  • how you'll batch up documents to index
  • how long you'll want documents to remain in Workplace Search
  • how you'll keep track of what you've indexed into Workplace Search, so you know what you need to remove (when the time comes)
  • how/if you want to model your data access with document-level-permissions
  • how frequently you'll want to index new posts, and how quickly you'll want new posts to be searchable in workplace search

Good luck!

Thank you for your answer.

I am sorry for asking a question that is not covered.

Nevertheless, thank you for all the advice.
I'll sort through these and see if I can include GoogleChat as a custom content source!
I can't thank you enough.

I'm closing this question.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.