Downgrading from 1.4 to1.3

"Upgrading" to 1.4 has been a clusterfuck for us. It's broken pretty much everything we rely on. I need to go back to 1.3, can I use the snapshot feature?
Will a snapshot taken on a 1.4 cluster restore to a separate 1.3 cluster ?

I'm really just interested in the data, I'd like to reapply my own mappings as the data is ingested into 1.3
Should I be looking at a third party script or will the snapshot/restore features of elastic search be adequate ?

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/cd99a5a2-d9a0-4bdf-ae4f-efe054ba8ebd%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No. A snapshot done on 1.4 won’t work in 1.3.
It might work only if no other indexation operation happened and no merge.

But that said, what is your concern with 1.4?

--
David Pilato | Technical Advocate | Elasticsearch.com
@dadoonet https://twitter.com/dadoonet | @elasticsearchfr https://twitter.com/elasticsearchfr | @scrutmydocs https://twitter.com/scrutmydocs

Le 3 déc. 2014 à 21:53, Jack Judge jackjudge01@gmail.com a écrit :

"Upgrading" to 1.4 has been a clusterfuck for us. It's broken pretty much everything we rely on. I need to go back to 1.3, can I use the snapshot feature?
Will a snapshot taken on a 1.4 cluster restore to a separate 1.3 cluster ?

I'm really just interested in the data, I'd like to reapply my own mappings as the data is ingested into 1.3
Should I be looking at a third party script or will the snapshot/restore features of elastic search be adequate ?

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/cd99a5a2-d9a0-4bdf-ae4f-efe054ba8ebd%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/F009E6E5-4056-497C-B414-DA02D4CC1993%40pilato.fr.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

I'm pretty sure you can't due to different Lucene versions. I wouldn't even
try - just export and re-index.

I will be more than happy to hear about what went wrong for you with
upgrading?

--

Itamar Syn-Hershko
http://code972.com | @synhershko https://twitter.com/synhershko
Freelance Developer & Consultant
Author of RavenDB in Action http://manning.com/synhershko/

On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 10:53 PM, Jack Judge jackjudge01@gmail.com wrote:

"Upgrading" to 1.4 has been a clusterfuck for us. It's broken pretty much
everything we rely on. I need to go back to 1.3, can I use the snapshot
feature?
Will a snapshot taken on a 1.4 cluster restore to a separate 1.3 cluster ?

I'm really just interested in the data, I'd like to reapply my own
mappings as the data is ingested into 1.3
Should I be looking at a third party script or will the snapshot/restore
features of elastic search be adequate ?

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/cd99a5a2-d9a0-4bdf-ae4f-efe054ba8ebd%40googlegroups.com
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/CAHTr4ZtKDnvjrv9sU0aAJdab5tTtBP08jB%2BJ9fOiRgtyHbYf9A%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

I will be more than happy to hear about what went wrong for you with
upgrading?

Well Kibana 4 is unusable for us, the lack of auto refresh killed it for us.
Most of the time K4 simply doesn't work even for browsing small sets, I'd
say 2 times in 3 we get the 300000 ms timeout error, is there a solution to
this yet ?
And when we finally do get any results it's as slow as a pig on crutches.

I need to go back to my old K3 dashboards, but after fighting thru the CORS
"features", I find they're all blank. There's no errors, just no data and I
desperately need them.
I also need my old Packetbeat dashboards.

From my googling I think the quickest way to get them back is to downgrade
ES from 1.4 to 1.3, or am I wrong ?

So, I need a way to export the data from the indices to a new cluster. My
systems are in a secure environment, I can't use anything that needs to
connect out to the interrnet during compile / install time, so the node.js
/ npm stuff is locked out for me.
I tried the knapsack plugin but it doesn't seem to work installed into an
ES 1.4 cluster.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/3b3ba0ec-d84e-4a90-920c-997bce89c847%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

I'm a bit confused. Are you downgrading just because of Kibana compat
issues? seems to me like killing a fly with a bazooka.

Enabling CORS and using K3 dashboards seem like the better solution to me,
for now. K4 isn't even officially released yet. As for data disappearing,
I'm sure it wasn't and a relaxed debugging session can help you find that.

As for export-import - yes, knapsack is a great option but it does make
sense Joerg hasn't updated it yet as its not officially maintained. Writing
your own export-import tool is an easy option; I'd also look at
https://github.com/elasticsearch/stream2es ,
https://github.com/taskrabbit/elasticsearch-dump

--

Itamar Syn-Hershko
http://code972.com | @synhershko https://twitter.com/synhershko
Freelance Developer & Consultant
Author of RavenDB in Action http://manning.com/synhershko/

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 12:12 AM, Jack Judge jackjudge01@gmail.com wrote:

I will be more than happy to hear about what went wrong for you with
upgrading?

Well Kibana 4 is unusable for us, the lack of auto refresh killed it for
us.
Most of the time K4 simply doesn't work even for browsing small sets, I'd
say 2 times in 3 we get the 300000 ms timeout error, is there a solution to
this yet ?
And when we finally do get any results it's as slow as a pig on crutches.

I need to go back to my old K3 dashboards, but after fighting thru the
CORS "features", I find they're all blank. There's no errors, just no data
and I desperately need them.
I also need my old Packetbeat dashboards.

From my googling I think the quickest way to get them back is to downgrade
ES from 1.4 to 1.3, or am I wrong ?

So, I need a way to export the data from the indices to a new cluster. My
systems are in a secure environment, I can't use anything that needs to
connect out to the interrnet during compile / install time, so the node.js
/ npm stuff is locked out for me.
I tried the knapsack plugin but it doesn't seem to work installed into an
ES 1.4 cluster.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/3b3ba0ec-d84e-4a90-920c-997bce89c847%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/3b3ba0ec-d84e-4a90-920c-997bce89c847%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/CAHTr4Zt-r2XQVGhDQ%2Bthqnt6hxavObpTcM%3DUkj-j27JLeRA_3A%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Well you say "just", but at the moment Kibana is our only view into the ES
cluster, so yes it's a dealbreaker for us.

After enabling CORS, and what an unexpected knock about of pure fun that
was, I still can't use the K3 dashboards, they're blank, no data, no errors
just empty dashboards :frowning:
Data isn't disappearing, I can still see it via the "head" plugin

So what's the quickest way of being able to see my data via the K3 boards ?
Is it exporting out into a new cluster ? Or is there a way to make them
work with the ES 1.4 cluster ?

JJ

.On Wednesday, 3 December 2014 14:17:39 UTC-8, Itamar Syn-Hershko wrote:

I'm a bit confused. Are you downgrading just because of Kibana compat
issues? seems to me like killing a fly with a bazooka.

Enabling CORS and using K3 dashboards seem like the better solution to me,
for now. K4 isn't even officially released yet. As for data disappearing,
I'm sure it wasn't and a relaxed debugging session can help you find that.

As for export-import - yes, knapsack is a great option but it does make
sense Joerg hasn't updated it yet as its not officially maintained. Writing
your own export-import tool is an easy option; I'd also look at
https://github.com/elasticsearch/stream2es ,
https://github.com/taskrabbit/elasticsearch-dump

--

Itamar Syn-Hershko
http://code972.com | @synhershko https://twitter.com/synhershko
Freelance Developer & Consultant
Author of RavenDB in Action http://manning.com/synhershko/

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 12:12 AM, Jack Judge <jackj...@gmail.com
<javascript:>> wrote:

I will be more than happy to hear about what went wrong for you with
upgrading?

Well Kibana 4 is unusable for us, the lack of auto refresh killed it for
us.
Most of the time K4 simply doesn't work even for browsing small sets, I'd
say 2 times in 3 we get the 300000 ms timeout error, is there a solution to
this yet ?
And when we finally do get any results it's as slow as a pig on crutches.

I need to go back to my old K3 dashboards, but after fighting thru the
CORS "features", I find they're all blank. There's no errors, just no data
and I desperately need them.
I also need my old Packetbeat dashboards.

From my googling I think the quickest way to get them back is to
downgrade ES from 1.4 to 1.3, or am I wrong ?

So, I need a way to export the data from the indices to a new cluster. My
systems are in a secure environment, I can't use anything that needs to
connect out to the interrnet during compile / install time, so the node.js
/ npm stuff is locked out for me.
I tried the knapsack plugin but it doesn't seem to work installed into an
ES 1.4 cluster.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/3b3ba0ec-d84e-4a90-920c-997bce89c847%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/3b3ba0ec-d84e-4a90-920c-997bce89c847%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/803bd821-95e8-4e29-8f0a-b2df813e204f%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

I'm not aware of compat issues with K3 and ES 1.4 other than
https://github.com/elasticsearch/kibana/issues/1637 . I'd check for
javascript errors, and try to see what's going on under the hood, really.
When you have more data about this, you can either quickly resolve, or open
a concrete bug :slight_smile:

--

Itamar Syn-Hershko
http://code972.com | @synhershko https://twitter.com/synhershko
Freelance Developer & Consultant
Author of RavenDB in Action http://manning.com/synhershko/

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 1:44 AM, Jack Judge jackjudge01@gmail.com wrote:

Well you say "just", but at the moment Kibana is our only view into the ES
cluster, so yes it's a dealbreaker for us.

After enabling CORS, and what an unexpected knock about of pure fun that
was, I still can't use the K3 dashboards, they're blank, no data, no errors
just empty dashboards :frowning:
Data isn't disappearing, I can still see it via the "head" plugin

So what's the quickest way of being able to see my data via the K3 boards
? Is it exporting out into a new cluster ? Or is there a way to make them
work with the ES 1.4 cluster ?

JJ

.On Wednesday, 3 December 2014 14:17:39 UTC-8, Itamar Syn-Hershko wrote:

I'm a bit confused. Are you downgrading just because of Kibana compat
issues? seems to me like killing a fly with a bazooka.

Enabling CORS and using K3 dashboards seem like the better solution to
me, for now. K4 isn't even officially released yet. As for data
disappearing, I'm sure it wasn't and a relaxed debugging session can help
you find that.

As for export-import - yes, knapsack is a great option but it does make
sense Joerg hasn't updated it yet as its not officially maintained. Writing
your own export-import tool is an easy option; I'd also look at
https://github.com/elasticsearch/stream2es , https://github.com/
taskrabbit/elasticsearch-dump

--

Itamar Syn-Hershko
http://code972.com | @synhershko https://twitter.com/synhershko
Freelance Developer & Consultant
Author of RavenDB in Action http://manning.com/synhershko/

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 12:12 AM, Jack Judge jackj...@gmail.com wrote:

I will be more than happy to hear about what went wrong for you with
upgrading?

Well Kibana 4 is unusable for us, the lack of auto refresh killed it for
us.
Most of the time K4 simply doesn't work even for browsing small sets,
I'd say 2 times in 3 we get the 300000 ms timeout error, is there a
solution to this yet ?
And when we finally do get any results it's as slow as a pig on crutches.

I need to go back to my old K3 dashboards, but after fighting thru the
CORS "features", I find they're all blank. There's no errors, just no data
and I desperately need them.
I also need my old Packetbeat dashboards.

From my googling I think the quickest way to get them back is to
downgrade ES from 1.4 to 1.3, or am I wrong ?

So, I need a way to export the data from the indices to a new cluster.
My systems are in a secure environment, I can't use anything that needs to
connect out to the interrnet during compile / install time, so the node.js
/ npm stuff is locked out for me.
I tried the knapsack plugin but it doesn't seem to work installed into
an ES 1.4 cluster.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/
msgid/elasticsearch/3b3ba0ec-d84e-4a90-920c-997bce89c847%
40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/3b3ba0ec-d84e-4a90-920c-997bce89c847%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/803bd821-95e8-4e29-8f0a-b2df813e204f%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/803bd821-95e8-4e29-8f0a-b2df813e204f%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/CAHTr4ZuOEEn_5_AQt9SKk3JAFmTnjq1afA9PAkP77aDmOLgLCg%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Well you're right there's JS errors, CORS related;

XMLHttpRequest cannot load
http://10.5.41.120:9200/logstash-2014.12.04/_search. Request header field
Content-Type is not allowed by Access-Control-Allow-Headers.

In my elasticsearch.yml I've got this on all nodes,

http.cors.allow-origin: "/.*/"
http.cors.enabled: true

Which google leads me to believe should open it up for anything. K3 is
fronted by apache and a bit more googling prompted me to add this to the
section of httpd.conf

Header set Access-Control-Allow-Origin "*"

Still getting the same errors :frowning:
I'm at a loss to know what else to do now.

On Wednesday, 3 December 2014 15:48:28 UTC-8, Itamar Syn-Hershko wrote:

I'm not aware of compat issues with K3 and ES 1.4 other than
https://github.com/elasticsearch/kibana/issues/1637 . I'd check for
javascript errors, and try to see what's going on under the hood, really.
When you have more data about this, you can either quickly resolve, or open
a concrete bug :slight_smile:

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/19d57d39-b764-493c-bd60-c8ae3aff087a%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Classic CORS error - maybe * is blocked by ES. Haven't had to deal with
this myself (yet) so can't help you here. All in all just a small rough
edge to smooth, not a clusterfuck.

A quick solution would be to install K3 as a site plugin and use it
internally (don't expose it to the web)

--

Itamar Syn-Hershko
http://code972.com | @synhershko https://twitter.com/synhershko
Freelance Developer & Consultant
Author of RavenDB in Action http://manning.com/synhershko/

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 3:20 AM, Jack Judge jackjudge01@gmail.com wrote:

Well you're right there's JS errors, CORS related;

XMLHttpRequest cannot load
http://10.5.41.120:9200/logstash-2014.12.04/_search. Request header field
Content-Type is not allowed by Access-Control-Allow-Headers.

In my elasticsearch.yml I've got this on all nodes,

http.cors.allow-origin: "/.*/"
http.cors.enabled: true

Which google leads me to believe should open it up for anything. K3 is
fronted by apache and a bit more googling prompted me to add this to the
section of httpd.conf

Header set Access-Control-Allow-Origin "*"

Still getting the same errors :frowning:
I'm at a loss to know what else to do now.

On Wednesday, 3 December 2014 15:48:28 UTC-8, Itamar Syn-Hershko wrote:

I'm not aware of compat issues with K3 and ES 1.4 other than
https://github.com/elasticsearch/kibana/issues/1637 . I'd check for
javascript errors, and try to see what's going on under the hood, really.
When you have more data about this, you can either quickly resolve, or open
a concrete bug :slight_smile:

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/19d57d39-b764-493c-bd60-c8ae3aff087a%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/19d57d39-b764-493c-bd60-c8ae3aff087a%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/CAHTr4ZsXoVG%3DqYm8_0RC0H1%3DtWQfBtXhOScv6bjwKN9winF4cQ%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Wrong in every fundamental aspect.

This was a clusterfuck and still is. The K3 dashboards are used by our
devs, network guys and management for a variety of tasks. When they stopped
working we lost sight of large parts of our operation.
Because of the lack of documentation and the time pressure, I don't have
the luxury of sitting down, picking up a coffee and learning all about
CORS, so yeah we've downgraded back to 1.3

Unless you know how to fix it, which I don't, then this is a clusterfuck,
it rendered our system useless to us.

On Thursday, 4 December 2014 07:40:47 UTC-8, Itamar Syn-Hershko wrote:

Classic CORS error - maybe * is blocked by ES. Haven't had to deal with
this myself (yet) so can't help you here. All in all just a small rough
edge to smooth, not a clusterfuck.

A quick solution would be to install K3 as a site plugin and use it
internally (don't expose it to the web)

--

Itamar Syn-Hershko
http://code972.com | @synhershko https://twitter.com/synhershko
Freelance Developer & Consultant
Author of RavenDB in Action http://manning.com/synhershko/

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 3:20 AM, Jack Judge <jackj...@gmail.com
<javascript:>> wrote:

Well you're right there's JS errors, CORS related;

XMLHttpRequest cannot load
http://10.5.41.120:9200/logstash-2014.12.04/_search. Request header
field Content-Type is not allowed by Access-Control-Allow-Headers.

In my elasticsearch.yml I've got this on all nodes,

http.cors.allow-origin: "/.*/"
http.cors.enabled: true

Which google leads me to believe should open it up for anything. K3 is
fronted by apache and a bit more googling prompted me to add this to the
section of httpd.conf

Header set Access-Control-Allow-Origin "*"

Still getting the same errors :frowning:
I'm at a loss to know what else to do now.

On Wednesday, 3 December 2014 15:48:28 UTC-8, Itamar Syn-Hershko wrote:

I'm not aware of compat issues with K3 and ES 1.4 other than
https://github.com/elasticsearch/kibana/issues/1637 . I'd check for
javascript errors, and try to see what's going on under the hood, really.
When you have more data about this, you can either quickly resolve, or open
a concrete bug :slight_smile:

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/19d57d39-b764-493c-bd60-c8ae3aff087a%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/19d57d39-b764-493c-bd60-c8ae3aff087a%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/feb498f7-b7aa-424b-b839-66445019d204%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

This is why it's good to test before rolling out to critical platforms.

On 5 December 2014 at 09:29, Jack Judge jackjudge01@gmail.com wrote:

Wrong in every fundamental aspect.

This was a clusterfuck and still is. The K3 dashboards are used by our
devs, network guys and management for a variety of tasks. When they stopped
working we lost sight of large parts of our operation.
Because of the lack of documentation and the time pressure, I don't have
the luxury of sitting down, picking up a coffee and learning all about
CORS, so yeah we've downgraded back to 1.3

Unless you know how to fix it, which I don't, then this is a clusterfuck,
it rendered our system useless to us.

On Thursday, 4 December 2014 07:40:47 UTC-8, Itamar Syn-Hershko wrote:

Classic CORS error - maybe * is blocked by ES. Haven't had to deal with
this myself (yet) so can't help you here. All in all just a small rough
edge to smooth, not a clusterfuck.

A quick solution would be to install K3 as a site plugin and use it
internally (don't expose it to the web)

--

Itamar Syn-Hershko
http://code972.com | @synhershko https://twitter.com/synhershko
Freelance Developer & Consultant
Author of RavenDB in Action http://manning.com/synhershko/

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 3:20 AM, Jack Judge jackj...@gmail.com wrote:

Well you're right there's JS errors, CORS related;

XMLHttpRequest cannot load http://10.5.41.120:9200/
logstash-2014.12.04/_search. Request header field Content-Type is not
allowed by Access-Control-Allow-Headers.

In my elasticsearch.yml I've got this on all nodes,

http.cors.allow-origin: "/.*/"
http.cors.enabled: true

Which google leads me to believe should open it up for anything. K3 is
fronted by apache and a bit more googling prompted me to add this to the
section of httpd.conf

Header set Access-Control-Allow-Origin "*"

Still getting the same errors :frowning:
I'm at a loss to know what else to do now.

On Wednesday, 3 December 2014 15:48:28 UTC-8, Itamar Syn-Hershko wrote:

I'm not aware of compat issues with K3 and ES 1.4 other than
https://github.com/elasticsearch/kibana/issues/1637 . I'd check for
javascript errors, and try to see what's going on under the hood, really.
When you have more data about this, you can either quickly resolve, or open
a concrete bug :slight_smile:

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/
msgid/elasticsearch/19d57d39-b764-493c-bd60-c8ae3aff087a%
40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/19d57d39-b764-493c-bd60-c8ae3aff087a%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/feb498f7-b7aa-424b-b839-66445019d204%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/feb498f7-b7aa-424b-b839-66445019d204%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/CAEYi1X8SAOhM8NC4b0vR1njMKai4hwKethKnj267yhySoaK6Xw%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

I know, I'm kicking myself for this. TBH my thinking was along the lines of
"new dashboards! - new kibana but that's okay it's works on it's own
server, K3 dashboards will still work - oh, ES update required, well new
kibana index needed so that explains that - oh fuck...what the hell is CORS
? can i back out ? why the fuck wasn't this highlighted in the release
notes, i mean in big glowing letters as in THIS WILL BREAK YOUR EXISTING
SETUP

Those were my thoughts, more or less.

On Thursday, 4 December 2014 16:24:09 UTC-8, Mark Walkom wrote:

This is why it's good to test before rolling out to critical platforms.

On 5 December 2014 at 09:29, Jack Judge <jackj...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
wrote:

Wrong in every fundamental aspect.

This was a clusterfuck and still is. The K3 dashboards are used by our
devs, network guys and management for a variety of tasks. When they stopped
working we lost sight of large parts of our operation.
Because of the lack of documentation and the time pressure, I don't have
the luxury of sitting down, picking up a coffee and learning all about
CORS, so yeah we've downgraded back to 1.3

Unless you know how to fix it, which I don't, then this is a clusterfuck,
it rendered our system useless to us.

On Thursday, 4 December 2014 07:40:47 UTC-8, Itamar Syn-Hershko wrote:

Classic CORS error - maybe * is blocked by ES. Haven't had to deal with
this myself (yet) so can't help you here. All in all just a small rough
edge to smooth, not a clusterfuck.

A quick solution would be to install K3 as a site plugin and use it
internally (don't expose it to the web)

--

Itamar Syn-Hershko
http://code972.com | @synhershko https://twitter.com/synhershko
Freelance Developer & Consultant
Author of RavenDB in Action http://manning.com/synhershko/

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 3:20 AM, Jack Judge jackj...@gmail.com wrote:

Well you're right there's JS errors, CORS related;

XMLHttpRequest cannot load http://10.5.41.120:9200/
logstash-2014.12.04/_search. Request header field Content-Type is not
allowed by Access-Control-Allow-Headers.

In my elasticsearch.yml I've got this on all nodes,

http.cors.allow-origin: "/.*/"
http.cors.enabled: true

Which google leads me to believe should open it up for anything. K3 is
fronted by apache and a bit more googling prompted me to add this to the
section of httpd.conf

Header set Access-Control-Allow-Origin "*"

Still getting the same errors :frowning:
I'm at a loss to know what else to do now.

On Wednesday, 3 December 2014 15:48:28 UTC-8, Itamar Syn-Hershko wrote:

I'm not aware of compat issues with K3 and ES 1.4 other than
https://github.com/elasticsearch/kibana/issues/1637 . I'd check for
javascript errors, and try to see what's going on under the hood, really.
When you have more data about this, you can either quickly resolve, or open
a concrete bug :slight_smile:

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/
msgid/elasticsearch/19d57d39-b764-493c-bd60-c8ae3aff087a%
40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/19d57d39-b764-493c-bd60-c8ae3aff087a%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to elasticsearc...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/feb498f7-b7aa-424b-b839-66445019d204%40googlegroups.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/feb498f7-b7aa-424b-b839-66445019d204%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/bad37880-3d7d-4a7b-ba0d-eddff3a36fe9%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.