Dropdown menu (input controls) has stopped to accept filters

Hello all,

my drop down menu has stopped to accept filters, I don't know what is wrong .

In dashboard I've: metric and drop down menu, both are using same index.

I'm using from Index 2 keyword fields: 'expdomain.keyword' & 'groupname.keyword'

Visualization setup:
Metric - unique count of filed: 'groupname.keyword'
Drop down menu - filed: 'groupname.keyword' (no 'expdomain.keyword' for selection)

When I apply filter only for one defined 'expdomain.keyword' = 'Architecture' metric id diplaying correct data of unique count 'groupname.keyword' but drop down menu is displayin all values (not filtered by 'expdomain.keyword')

What is wrong ? I don't remember if I need to setup index pattern filed to url .... ?

Thank You

Hey @Cyver_Bobak, input controls aren't filtered based on the "global filters" that are added, which is why it's showing all values.

Hello Brandon_Kobel,
it worked in ver: 6.4.3 in past for me, as I'm learning I set several options and now I'm no able to achieve it. I'll try to explain more:

Example for drop down menu:

1.) field: 'expdomain.keyword'
2.) field: 'groupname.keyword' has parent control set to 1.)
3.) field: 'servicename.keyword' has parent control set to 2.)

This is working in dashboard, but I've 5 separate dashboards where I need dynamically change:
1.) 'expdomain.keyword' based on dashboard name.

I created same drop down menu as mentioned without the:
1.) field: 'expdomain.keyword'

1.) field: 'groupname.keyword' 
2.) field: 'servicename.keyword' has parent control set to 1.)

Now I want to select:
1.) field: 'groupname.keyword' but filtered on 'expdomain.keyword'.

On first dashboard I've link to second and passing the'expdomain.keyword' value via url in markdown:

[2nd dashboard link] (/app/kibana#/dashboard/<dashboard_id>?embed=true&_g=(time:(from:now-90d,mode:quick,to:now))&_a=(query:(language:lucene,query:'expdomain.keyword:Architecture')))

It has stopped to filter and I see all values for: 1.) field: 'groupname.keyword'

I hope it make sense.

Thank You

If you are using parent input controls, then it is possible to filter the children input controls based on their parent. You didn't mention that you were using parent input controls before.

This is working in dashboard, but I've 5 separate dashboards where I need dynamically change:
1.) 'expdomain.keyword' based on dashboard name.

If you add the input control to a Dashboard, change the selected parameter of the input control and then save it, when subsequent users open up the Dashboard that selection will be persisted.

On first dashboard I've link to second and passing the 'expdomain.keyword' value via url in markdown:
[2nd dashboard link] (/app/kibana#/dashboard/<dashboard_id>?embed=true&_g=(time:(from:now-90d,mode:quick,to:now))&_a=(query:(language:lucene,query: 'expdomain.keyword:Architecture' )))
It has stopped to filter and I see all values for: 1.) field: 'groupname.keyword'

Which version of Kibana were you seeing this work on? I just tried on 6.4.2 and it isn't working as you described.

6.4.3, static (.tar.gz), I already removed it an installed same version via package manager, now I see that the current installed version is diferrent: 6.4.3-1

If you add the input control to a Dashboard, change the selected parameter of the input control and then save it, when subsequent users open up the Dashboard that selection will be persisted.

I didn't know it, but I don't want that the users will see and have possibility to change the dynamic value 'expdomain.keyword' in drop down menu (I don't see option to hide it).

Thank You for support

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.