ECK architecture

Hello Team,

I was reading through the ECK. just couple of queries regarding master node and adding new data nodes.

1. When we configure number of master nodes , lets say 3 that means 3 master eligible nodes and only one can be active master at any given point of time.

2. if i have 3 master nodes and one goes down , and other 2 master nodes lost communication for time being, will it cause the split brain issue or will it get handled with min master nodes as (N/2)+1

3. I i want to add new node lets say data node, will it be created with copy of any other data node or it will be just empty data node.

any pointers / document reference to above queries are appreciated
Thanks in advance.
Aditya

Hey Aditya,

These questions are not really ECK related but more on how Elasticsearch nodes work, so the answers can be found in the Elasticsearch documentation.

1. This is true, see Quorum-based decision making | Elasticsearch Guide [8.4] | Elastic
  2. No, this will not happen. Decisions are made only after a majority (more than half) of the nodes in the voting configuration respond. See Voting configurations | Elasticsearch Guide [8.4] | Elastic
  3. This page explains how Elasticsearch works with adding an extra (data) node: Add and remove nodes in your cluster | Elasticsearch Guide [8.4] | Elastic

I hope this answers your question,

Tim

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.