Elastic App Search Analytics: 2 conceptual-level questions

We are just setting up Elastic App Search for our website's search engine. I have been reading all about the Click analytics API and how you can use it with tags to move toward personalized search. Unfortunately, my colleagues at the office keep telling me we already use google analytics for our search analytics. "We don't need App Search's search analytics" they keep telling me. Also, they say there's no way Elastic can know which results were clicked on by customers without the equivalent of google tag manager or a tracking pixel or some other kind of javascript. Question 1: By what means does App Search analytics know which results (document ID) a user clicked on? 2. In general, how can using Elastic App Search's own analytics be more powerful than out-sourcing our search analytics to google analytics?

hey @Cameron_Ives

1. When you use Search UI, when a user clicks on a result, we emit a analytics event to notify App Search that the result has been clicked. This only works if you're using Search UI. It is possible to also implement your own JS to send this event to the API if you're building a custom UI.
  2. To remember, you can use both App Search and Google analytics together, they aren't mutually exclusive. App Search analytics has a further advantage by using the analytics to improve ranking over time with automated curations.

It is possible to also implement your own JS to send this event to the API if you're building a custom UI

This is the API endpoint you would use to record a click event to App Search: Click API | App Search documentation [8.11] | Elastic

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.