node1 - master
node2 - master
node3 - data
node4 - data
node5 - data
node6 - master, data

node1,2,3,4 and node5 are primary nodes
node6 is DR node

I want to all primary nodes and start with DR node.
I was unable to up the cluster with one node. Got error ''master not discovered or elected yet, an election requires at least 2 nodes''

is there way to up the cluster with only DR node.?

Thank You!

No that is not possible. A majority of master eligible nodes need to be available for the cluster to operate properly. See the docs for further details. The arrangement you are describing will therefore not work.

Thank You.
Then there should be (at least) 2 master nodes(live)

There need to be a strict majority (not fixed count) of master nodes available, e.g. 2 out of 3, 3 out of 4 etc.

If I want to start the elastic cluster in DR side and down all primary nodes. Then I have to setup 2 or more nodes in DR side.isn't it?

No, you can only add new master nodes if the cluster has an elected master, which requires a majority of master eligible nodes are available. If you want a DR cluster I would recommend setting up 2 separate clusters and either restoring a snapshot or write to both clusters in parallel.

is there way to setup both primary and DR nodes in the same cluster?

Not that I am aware of.

There's no notion of "primary" and "DR" nodes in Elasticsearch but this is the wrong way to think about building a resilient cluster. A properly configured cluster can carry on working even if the underlying infrastructure suffers a severe outage, possibly even losing a whole zone of its nodes all at once. The reference manual has comprehensive guidance on this subject.

Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.