Elastic search 1.0.0 RC1 and Logstash 1.3.3?


(Jilles van Gurp) #1

I'm considering to start using elastic search 1.0.0RC1 in a new project.
However, I also need to deploy logstash (and probably also Kibana). Given
the API changes in the new release candidate, can I expect Logstash to play
nice with elastic search, should I wait, or should I use development
versions of logstash and Kibana? I'd appreciate any feedback people who
have tried this already might have on this before trying to find out the
hard way and possibly wasting a few hours.

My main concern is that I don't want to code against APIs that are going to
be deprecated or change a few weeks into my project when 1.0.0 is released.
Also, there are some features in there that I definitely want to use and
I'd prefer to code against the new APIs from day one.

JIlles

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/9aa4248f-4b0f-4786-9174-1816a11d2463%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


(Binh Ly) #2

Jilles,

I'd give it a try and report back. FYI, I have been using LS 1.3.3 and ES
1.0 RC1 with the elasticsearch_http output and so far, it seems to be
working fine.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/33be999b-98a6-4ec9-93a4-547ba6d02cc1%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


(Jilles van Gurp) #3

For what it is worth, I performed the upgrade this morning. In the end I
waited until the 1.0 release.

I basically upgraded as follows:

  1. shutdown logstash agents reading from redis so write traffic to es
    cluster stopped
  2. shutdown the es cluster entirely
  3. one by one, upgrade the machines with es 1.0.0 and start the nodes

It took quite some time for the cluster to go green again. Probably index
conversion. Otherwise, everything still seems to work.

For incremental updates in the future, I'd be curious to know what other
people's experience is with performing rolling upgrades instead. I decided
not to risk it here but we will have a live system soon depending on es and
a full cluster shutdown would be highly inconvenient then.

On Wednesday, January 29, 2014 12:14:34 AM UTC+1, Binh Ly wrote:

Jilles,

I'd give it a try and report back. FYI, I have been using LS 1.3.3 and ES
1.0 RC1 with the elasticsearch_http output and so far, it seems to be
working fine.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "elasticsearch" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to elasticsearch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/fc08b880-47a5-4d44-804e-2ce369410520%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


(system) #4