Elastic Search as Primary Database

Can I use only elastic search as primary database for e-commerce app. I don't want to use another relational databases.

Few years ago Elastic did release a blog post for using it as NoSQL DB, you may find some interresting concepts in it but care, a lot of things had change since !
You may also find some ressources on the official documentation of the product.

Anyway the primary questions you have to ask is what data do you care about, what kind of search / vues do you wanna get and build your indices / templates in consequence.

Welcome!

I'd read this page: Elasticsearch Resiliency Status | Elastic

Specifically:

Data Store Recommendations

Some customers use Elasticsearch as a primary datastore, some set-up comprehensive back-up solutions using features such as our Snapshot and Restore, while others use Elasticsearch in conjunction with a data storage system like Hadoop or even flat files. Elasticsearch can be used for so many different use cases which is why we have created this page to make sure you are fully informed when you are architecting your system.

Hi, If I use elastic as a primary database and setup cluster for that then in worst case what would be the chances for data loss ?

A few chances. Still it can happen.

I would say as with any software. Bugs can happen, hardware failures can happen...

If you have backups, if you're not abusing elasticsearch system (like over sharding), ... then that might be ok.

My 0.05 cents.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.