Elastic SIEM Map Not Showing Destinations

I have not been able to find any information about this issue. Also, I am very new to the elastic stack.
When I look at the SIEM map, it shows some of the destination icons and information but a large amount of destination lines do not have an icon or any further information about the destination.

Map_destinations

I am using the ealsticsearch pipeline to enrich my logs with geoip data as seen in here: https://www.elastic.co/blog/elastic-siem-for-small-business-and-home-3-geoip-data-and-beats-config-review

Any help, guidance, or direction to further reading would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi Arron,

Welcome to the Elastic stack. Thank you for reaching out! My recommendation would be to follow this documentation and make sure that all of your source and destination geo data is mapped correctly: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/siem/guide/current/conf-map-ui.html

There is also a blog post about this feature. There is a gif that shows what you should be seeing: https://www.elastic.co/blog/integrating-maps-into-elastic-siem

Please let me know if you are able to get this working. If you have trouble, posting your mappings.json would be helpful. Thanks!

Steph

Steph,

Thank you for the response.
I went through that first blog post you mentioned and I believe I have everything set up properly.

I am not sure what mappings.json you would like to see. The following are the ones on my server:

/usr/share/kibana/src/legacy/core_plugins/kibana/mappings.json
/usr/share/kibana/src/legacy/core_plugins/timelion/mappings.json
/usr/share/kibana/x-pack/legacy/plugins/maps/mappings.json
/usr/share/kibana/x-pack/plugins/actions/server/saved_objects/mappings.json
/usr/share/kibana/x-pack/plugins/alerting/server/saved_objects/mappings.json
/usr/share/kibana/x-pack/plugins/event_log/generated/mappings.json
/usr/share/kibana/x-pack/plugins/lists/server/services/items/list_item_mappings.json
/usr/share/kibana/x-pack/plugins/lists/server/services/lists/list_mappings.json
/usr/share/kibana/x-pack/plugins/task_manager/server/saved_objects/mappings.json

I do have some entries that look like this:
Date/Time destination.ip destination.geo.location source.ip source.geolocation

Aug 3, 2020 @ 14:21:51.035	255.255.255.255	 - 	192.168.0.19	{
  "lon": ********,
  "lat": *********
}

I appears that broadcast addresses and loopback address does not get the geoip data when
when.network.destination.ip: private
when.network.source.ip: private

Would this cause this type of an issue?

Steph,

I spoke with James Spiteri on the Slack channel who explained how to get what you requested. :smiley:

As there is a character limit for each post, I have the packetbeat mapping in pastebin. Please let me know if this is not acceptable.

I have noticed this issue as well. Depending on zoom levels some data shows and some does not.

This has been consistent since day 1 of the feature.

I finally have a way of actually showing it, as seen above.

All geo point data exists, it just seems like it doesn't quite render fully. Happy to provide more details, please let me know.

This is WinLogBeat data via SysMon and process network connections.

Yeah, I am also able to see the destination bytes for each path even though it eventually disappears and I never get to see the destination IP.

Also, did you change the icons? I have pink dots for destination and a blue house for the source, which I really would like to change.

I was not in the SIEM app. I was using the Maps visualization and created my own layers.

Gotcha

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.