Elastice ECE Watcher SMTP timeout

Trying to create watchers to send email using the xpack configuration below. The configuration work however I am getting random timeouts. (See error below along with xpack email configuration)

Sending a manual test email from the create threshold alerts menu works fine. The automated trigger emails seem to be failing with the timeout issue but will also randomly work and the messages are sometimes sent. Any help is much appreciated!

"actions": [
      {
        "id": "send_email",
        "type": "email",
        "status": "failure",
        "error": {
          "root_cause": [
            {
              "type": "messaging_exception",
              "reason": "failed to send email with subject [Watcher Notification] via account [work]"
            }
          ],
          "type": "messaging_exception",
          "reason": "failed to send email with subject [Watcher Notification] via account [work]",
          "caused_by": {
            "type": "mail_connect_exception",
            "reason": "Couldn't connect to host, port: {{IP ADDRESS}}, 25; timeout 120000",
            "caused_by": {
              "type": "socket_timeout_exception",
              "reason": "connect timed out"
            }
          }
        }
      }
    ]

xpack.notification.email.account:
    work:
        profile: outlook
        email_defaults:
        smtp:
            auth: false
            starttls.enable: false
            host: {{IP ADDRESS}}
            port: 25
            user: email@domain.com

Looks like this might be an issue with AWS throttling traffic on port 25. Just submitted the request to remove port 25 throttling and will provide an update to the community if this resolves the issue.

https://aws.amazon.com/premiumsupport/knowledge-center/ec2-port-25-throttle/

If you want to know for sure, try reducing the frequency of the run in Watcher. If it's AWS throttling, you will know for sure. Alternatively, if you have SSL or TLS, you might want to swictch to ports 465 or 587 respectively. That's what I did and it works fine but I don't use AWS. Always good to have for security however.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.