Elasticsearch crashes when updated data path

Hi,

Elasticsearch setup works fine with default configurations.
But when updated its path.data setting from elasticsearch.yml file it crashes with below error

[2015-11-19 12:39:56,194][ERROR][bootstrap                ] Exception
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable to access 'path.data' (/home/hadoop/bigdata/data/elasticsearch)
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Security.addPath(Security.java:197)
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Security.createPermissions(Security.java:170)
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Security.configure(Security.java:100)
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Bootstrap.setupSecurity(Bootstrap.java:181)
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Bootstrap.setup(Bootstrap.java:159)
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Bootstrap.init(Bootstrap.java:270)
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.main(Elasticsearch.java:35)
Caused by: java.nio.file.AccessDeniedException: /home/hadoop/bigdata/data
        at sun.nio.fs.UnixException.translateToIOException(UnixException.java:84)
        at sun.nio.fs.UnixException.rethrowAsIOException(UnixException.java:102)
        at sun.nio.fs.UnixException.rethrowAsIOException(UnixException.java:107)
        at sun.nio.fs.UnixFileSystemProvider.checkAccess(UnixFileSystemProvider.java:308)
        at java.nio.file.Files.createDirectories(Files.java:702)
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Security.ensureDirectoryExists(Security.java:218)
        at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Security.addPath(Security.java:195)
        ... 6 more

I have copied elasticsearch directory from /var/lib location with preserved mode. But no success.
Can anybody please help me to come out of this error

Thanks,
Sanjay Bhosale

This sounds like an access permissions issue to me. You might want to check the user elasticsearch is running under is allowed to access the directory mentioned in the error message.

Hope this helps,
Isabel

As i have already copied the same directory where it works with same privileges and access permission.
It should be able access directory.

What can i do further to check for accessibilty?

Thanks,
Sanjay Bhosale.

Not sure what OS you are running, if it's some *ix I'd double check permissions are really what you expect them to be (with something as simple as "ls").

Yes i checked by ls -rla command and both looks same.

What about /home/hadoop/bigdata, /home/hadoop, and /home? The ES user needs at least executable permissions on all those directories.