Elasticsearch custom realm, support for wildcard properties

I have implemented a custom real plugin based on the _x-pack_qa_security-example-spi-extension project. The problem i'm facing is reading custom plugin properties provided in the elasticsearch.yml file.

i would need to receive a list of properties, some of them are predefined, some of them are prefixed with "...my-custom.realm3.roles" but the postfix is an elasticsearch role name.

my-custom:
realm3:
order: 2
restResourceBaseUrl: "http://localhost:8080/restServices"
roles.all: "reporting_user"
roles.sl_elastic_admin: "watcher_admin,other_role"
roles.sl_elastic_viewer: "watcher_admin"

When elasticsearch is started with the plugin deployed it fails with a StartupException, please see full stacktrace at the bottom:

org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.StartupException: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: unknown setting [xpack.security.authc.realms.my-custom.realm3.roles.sl_elastic_admin]

Code: public class CustomRealm extends Realm

Code: public class CustomSecurityExtensionPlugin extends Plugin implements ActionPlugin

Question:

• Is there a way to allow custom realm plugins to allow reading wildcard properties?
  • What type of setting needs to be used for this?

Full Stacktrace:

[2019-09-23T10:38:25,028][INFO ][o.e.p.PluginsService ] [node-1] loaded plugin [elastic-security-wm6-custom-realm-plugin]
[2019-09-23T10:38:28,198][WARN ][o.e.b.ElasticsearchUncaughtExceptionHandler] [node-1] uncaught exception in thread [main]
org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.StartupException: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: unknown setting [xpack.security.authc.realms.my-custom.realm3.roles.sl_elastic_admin] please check that any required plugins are installed, or check the breaking changes documentation for removed settings
at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.init(Elasticsearch.java:163) ~[elasticsearch-7.3.1.jar:7.3.1]
at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.execute(Elasticsearch.java:150) ~[elasticsearch-7.3.1.jar:7.3.1]
at org.elasticsearch.cli.EnvironmentAwareCommand.execute(EnvironmentAwareCommand.java:86) ~[elasticsearch-7.3.1.jar:7.3.1]
at org.elasticsearch.cli.Command.mainWithoutErrorHandling(Command.java:124) ~[elasticsearch-cli-7.3.1.jar:7.3.1]
at org.elasticsearch.cli.Command.main(Command.java:90) ~[elasticsearch-cli-7.3.1.jar:7.3.1]
at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.main(Elasticsearch.java:115) ~[elasticsearch-7.3.1.jar:7.3.1]
at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.main(Elasticsearch.java:92) ~[elasticsearch-7.3.1.jar:7.3.1]
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: unknown setting [xpack.security.authc.realms.my-custom.realm3.roles.sl_elastic_admin] please check that any required plugins are installed, or check the breaking changes documentation for removed settings
at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.AbstractScopedSettings.validate(AbstractScopedSettings.java:531) ~[elasticsearch-7.3.1.jar:7.3.1]
at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.AbstractScopedSettings.validate(AbstractScopedSettings.java:476) ~[elasticsearch-7.3.1.jar:7.3.1]
at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.AbstractScopedSettings.validate(AbstractScopedSettings.java:447) ~[elasticsearch-7.3.1.jar:7.3.1]
at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.AbstractScopedSettings.validate(AbstractScopedSettings.java:418) ~[elasticsearch-7.3.1.jar:7.3.1]
at org.elasticsearch.common.settings.SettingsModule.(SettingsModule.java:149) ~[elasticsearch-7.3.1.jar:7.3.1]
at org.elasticsearch.node.Node.(Node.java:357) ~[elasticsearch-7.3.1.jar:7.3.1]
at org.elasticsearch.node.Node.(Node.java:258) ~[elasticsearch-7.3.1.jar:7.3.1]
at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Bootstrap$5.(Bootstrap.java:221) ~[elasticsearch-7.3.1.jar:7.3.1]
at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Bootstrap.setup(Bootstrap.java:221) ~[elasticsearch-7.3.1.jar:7.3.1]
at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Bootstrap.init(Bootstrap.java:349) ~[elasticsearch-7.3.1.jar:7.3.1]
at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.init(Elasticsearch.java:159) ~[elasticsearch-7.3.1.jar:7.3.1]
... 6 more

You'll want to use a "group setting" wrapped in an "affix setting".

private static final Setting.AffixSetting<Settings> ROLES_SETTING 
       = Setting.affixKeySetting(realmSettingPrefix(TYPE), "roles",
            (key) -> Setting.groupSetting(key + ".", Setting.Property.NodeScope));

Without the affix part, your group setting is registering a setting for xpack.security.authc.realms.my-custom.roles.* (without the realm name in it).
That would prevent you from having different settings per realm (which you might not need, but in general realms are supposed to support that).

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.