Elasticsearch indices have different weird names post migration

Hi I have upgraded elasticsearch to 5.4 and post migration the indices appears to be like below names which makes no sense.

[root@elastic cloud-user]# cd /var/lib/elasticsearch/elasticsearch/nodes/0/indices/
[root@elastic indices]# ll
total 52
drwxr-xr-x. 8 elasticsearch elasticsearch 4096 Jun 13 06:52 **3w1OIV7tSeahyz_vyMZUeA**
drwxr-xr-x. 4 elasticsearch elasticsearch 4096 Jun  8 09:50 **44vfFl_FTgCCjKJqBxNrlQ**
drwxr-xr-x. 8 elasticsearch elasticsearch 4096 Jun 14 02:43 **Bh27njEnTh6tA58LTKPN_Q**

Marked in bold are the indices which got renamed post migration i dont know what to make of this.

Elasticsearch 5.x uses hashes instead of real index names in file system paths as there were perfectly valid index names that would cause problems in certain file systems. If you go through the APIs the normal index names will be used. This should in my opinion not be a problem as you should not do anything with Elasticsearch at the file system level anyway.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.