Elasticsearch on Raspberry Pi 3+

Hello.

I am an absolute beginner. I've purchased a Raspberry Pi 3+ and set up my own NextCloud. That works.

Now, I want to enable a full text search in my Nextcloud. Therefore, I want to install Elasticsearch on my Raspberry Pi. I've tried it as described here. But it ends in an error message:

pi@raspberrypi:/usr/share $ sudo mkdir /usr/share/elasticsearch pi@raspberrypi:/usr/share $ cd /usr/share/elasticsearch pi@raspberrypi:/usr/share/elasticsearch $ man wget pi@raspberrypi:/usr/share/elasticsearch $ wget https://packages.elastic.co/GPG-KEY-elasticsearch --2019-05-06 12:44:52-- https://packages.elastic.co/GPG-KEY-elasticsearch Resolving packages.elastic.co (packages.elastic.co)... 151.101.114.217, 2a04:4e42:1b::729 Connecting to packages.elastic.co (packages.elastic.co)|151.101.114.217|:443... connected. HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK Length: 1768 (1.7K) [binary/octet-stream] GPG-KEY-elasticsearch: Permission denied

Cannot write to ‘GPG-KEY-elasticsearch’ (Permission denied).
pi@raspberrypi:/usr/share/elasticsearch $ sudo apt-get install elasticsearch
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
elasticsearch
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 13 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/19.1 kB of archives.
After this operation, 75.8 kB of additional disk space will be used.
dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:
unknown user 'elasticsearch' in statoverride file
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)

What am I doing wrong?

I would suggest that you install Elasticsearch on a different device, to use in conjunction with Nextcloud. An RPi3 is woefully underpowered to do this kind of thing. Just because a thing can be installed does not mean it will be useable after installation. The amount of RAM and the speed of disk access required for an Elasticsearch installation preclude an RPi3 from being used as pretty much anything else, if you also have Elasticsearch installed on it.

By the way, the article you reference is from 2017. A bit outdated, as there have been 2 major releases of Elasticsearch since then.

My approach is to have an Nextcloud in order to enable sharing of relevant PDF files of documents with family members and friends. All PDF files have been processed by ABBYY Finereader and are full text searchable. If it basically works, I probably will invest more money for hardware and acquire a more powerful computer than the RasPi.

But at the moment, I want to try and to learn whether it is at all worth to deploy such an own cloud. In this conjunction I at first want to install and enable Elasticsearch just experimentally.

I recommend installing Elasticsearch manually, probably in the 6.7 release series. As far as running it as a proof-of-concept, it's quite possible that the system will be too taxed to effectively demonstrate proof-of-concept.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.