Elasticsearch-php + AWS Elasticsearch

Hi!

I am considering moving our elasticsearch to AWS (it is much easier to maintain - since I don't have to maintain it at all).

I have a PHP application and for connection to elastic I am using elastic/elasticsearch-php, but now I have not found a way to connect to AWS without using 3rd party library for PHP which is using AWS-SDK. Can I do it without it?

I have configured restricted access from the dev-server IP.

Yes, I did tried entrypoint URL and entrypoint URL + /

Is it possible to do it only with configuration of elastic's PHP lib or do I have to use AWS-SDK?

Thank you

Not answering but did you look at https://www.elastic.co/cloud and https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/B01N6YCISK ?

Cloud by elastic is the only way to have access to X-Pack. Think about what is there yet like Security, Monitoring, Reporting and what is coming like Canvas, SQL...

Well, It may solve the issue with ES. But it is pricy solution. Small instance of ES can handle it same and I can even have multiple of them (cheper ones) and it would be good.

Since I use it just for web searches, I am not interested in Kibana, etc... Yes, it is nice tool. But not must-have I would say. curl is powerfull either and few scripts does health-check on self-hosted ES the same as any other solution :slight_smile:

So what did you mean by

I am considering moving our elasticsearch to AWS (it is much easier to maintain - since I don't have to maintain it at all).

Do you want to run elasticsearch on ec2 manually?

No, I want to use AWS Elasticsearch service (https://aws.amazon.com/elasticsearch-service/)

Which options did you choose?

Well, I wanted to use "t2.small.elasticsearch" at AWS. But my boss is afraid of AWS/Cloud. So we have our own instance on our server... I am not happy about the solution but I am not going to convict him why we should move to cloud. I got my answer already - "we do not have the data".

I don't know why he thinks that with VPS it is different... Nevermind.

Haha. Sure that's a weird argument.

Note that you can use elastic cloud on premise as well with Elastic Cloud Enterprise but I'm not sure that's what your boss wants either.

IMHO cloud.elastic.co would better suit your needs but this is up to you (and your boss). :wink:

Good luck.

Thank you.

btw after deeper look AWS ES Service offers (almost!) the same as Elastic Cloud Enterprise (Kibana,etc...).

But I was thinking about AWS because I wanted to try it out. But I walked away with nothing.

I also wanted to move away from the VPS and move everything to cloud, I am not sure if it would be cheaper or not and I know it would add some additional steps to deployment and develeopment. So... yeah it has it's disadvantages - but these are here for the start, after you do it once, you will mostly know how to deal with any issues which may come up from deploy and dev.

I think that the biggest reason why yes is availability. AWS is the biggest cloud service (even if you combine size of Google Cloud and MS Azure) AWS is still bigger.

It has many great services with great already implemented monitoring for the whole app... I think it is just easy to go with it.

And in my opinion the API access to AWS vs SSH access to VPS are on the same level of accessibility, but AWS's S3 has more uptime than our VPS provider so far :smiley:

Anyway, thank you so much for your time and answers. :slight_smile: I have an other question but about different think so about that in different thread.

I think that's one of the reason cloud.elastic.co actually runs from the beginning on AWS.
Which is nice if you have other services running on AWS as you will be able to transfer data over the "local" network at no cost.

Anyway, thank you so much for your time and answers. :slight_smile: I have an other question but about different think so about that in different thread.

Sure. We'll be happy to help.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.