Elasticsearch reindex only appears to take a few documents

Hello there,

I am trying to reindex some data in index firewall2 to index firewall4. I set up the firewall4 index and its mapping. When I try to run the reindex command, I see the following:

curl -XPOST 'localhost:9200/_reindex?pretty' -H 'Content-Type: application/json' -d'
{
  "source": {
    "index": "firewall2"
  },
  "dest": {
    "index": "firewall4"
  }
}
'
{
  "took" : 2,
  "timed_out" : false,
  "total" : 0,
  "updated" : 0,
  "created" : 0,
  "batches" : 0,
  "version_conflicts" : 0,
  "noops" : 0,
  "retries" : 0,
  "throttled_millis" : 0,
  "requests_per_second" : "unlimited",
  "throttled_until_millis" : 0,
  "failures" : [ ]
}

There are more than 2 records in the original index; there are approximately 40k. This doesn't display any errors, so I would think things are ok, but when I try to make the index pattern (firewall4-*) in Kibana, it says it cannot find data matching the index pattern. There was no data originally in the firewall4 index, so I did not care if anything existing would be deleted or not.

Here are all the indices:

firewall/             firewall2-2018-02-07/ firewall4/       .kibana/ 
firewall2/            firewall3/ 
firewall-2018-02-07/  firewall3-2018-02-07/

The "firewall" index had data as well, but I deleted that as part of a test. What I want to do now is reindex the data from firewall2 and firewall3 to firewall4, but I have no luck.

Any assistance would be great :smiley:

(David Pilato) #2

What makes you think that the reindex operation is done?

Did you check the running tasks?

I am not seeing anything that looks like reindexing, unless this is what it's supposed to look like :smiley:

curl -XGET localhost:9200/_tasks/?pretty
{
  "nodes" : {
    "X24HtNOOSrGFp2KQQldJPw" : {
      "name" : "Scimitar",
      "transport_address" : "localhost:9300",
      "host" : "localhost",
      "ip" : "localhost:9300",
      "tasks" : {
        "X24HtNOOSrGFp2KQQldJPw:590" : {
          "node" : "X24HtNOOSrGFp2KQQldJPw",
          "id" : 590,
          "type" : "transport",
          "action" : "cluster:monitor/tasks/lists",
          "start_time_in_millis" : 1518036782414,
          "running_time_in_nanos" : 316439
        },
        "X24HtNOOSrGFp2KQQldJPw:591" : {
          "node" : "X24HtNOOSrGFp2KQQldJPw",
          "id" : 591,
          "type" : "direct",
          "action" : "cluster:monitor/tasks/lists[n]",
          "start_time_in_millis" : 1518036782414,
          "running_time_in_nanos" : 139752,
          "parent_task_id" : "X24HtNOOSrGFp2KQQldJPw:590"
        }
      }
    }
  }
}

I started the reindex process a couple hours ago, not sure of the exact time. I also wasn't really sure if it started correctly as it seemed strange that the "took" field stated a number between 1 and 12 while the example from https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/2.4/docs-reindex.html shows 147.

At any rate, I appreciate your time with this :smiley:

(David Pilato) #4

Could you run:

GET firewall2/_search?size=0
GET firewall4/_search?size=0

Also do you see anything in your logs?

curl -XGET localhost:9200/firewall2/_search?size=0
{"took":1,"timed_out":false,"_shards":{"total":5,"successful":5,"failed":0},"hits":{"total":0,"max_score":0.0,"hits":[]}}

curl -XGET localhost:9200/firewall4/_search?size=0
{"took":1,"timed_out":false,"_shards":{"total":5,"successful":5,"failed":0},"hits":{"total":0,"max_score":0.0,"hits":[]}}

There is also no entries in elasticsearch.log since I restarted elasticsearch earlier today. There are also no logs in depreciated or index* logs.

There are some logs that popped up just a few minutes ago. They are all saying basically the same thing, but for different indices; firewall2, 3, 4, etc and some other ftp indexes I created that don't ship the logs in real time.

[2018-02-07 17:10:43,512][DEBUG][action.fieldstats        ] [Scimitar] [firewall4][4], node[X24HtNOOSrGFp2KQQldJPw], [P], v[6], s[STARTED], a[id=PGDwElgYQvelwemlJcPxdQ]: failed to execute [org.elasticsearch.action.fieldstats.FieldStatsRequest@64190be9]
RemoteTransportException[[Scimitar][localhost:9300][indices:data/read/field_stats[s]]]; nested: IllegalArgumentException[field [@timestamp] doesn't exist];
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: field [@timestamp] doesn't exist
        at org.elasticsearch.action.fieldstats.TransportFieldStatsTransportAction.shardOperation(TransportFieldStatsTransportAction.java:166)
        at org.elasticsearch.action.fieldstats.TransportFieldStatsTransportAction.shardOperation(TransportFieldStatsTransportAction.java:54)
        at org.elasticsearch.action.support.broadcast.TransportBroadcastAction$ShardTransportHandler.messageReceived(TransportBroadcastAction.java:282)
        at org.elasticsearch.action.support.broadcast.TransportBroadcastAction$ShardTransportHandler.messageReceived(TransportBroadcastAction.java:278)
        at org.elasticsearch.transport.RequestHandlerRegistry.processMessageReceived(RequestHandlerRegistry.java:77)
        at org.elasticsearch.transport.TransportService$4.doRun(TransportService.java:378)
        at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.AbstractRunnable.run(AbstractRunnable.java:37)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

(David Pilato) #8

So if I sum up:

You have no data in index firewall2. And you ran:

curl -XPOST 'localhost:9200/_reindex?pretty' -H 'Content-Type: application/json' -d'
{
  "source": {
    "index": "firewall2"
  },
  "dest": {
    "index": "firewall4"
  }
}
'

Which means that you copied "no data" from firewall2 to firewall4.

What did you expect actually?

I have data in firewall2. Here is the data from Kibana.

I have no data in firewall4. It was a blank index created plus the mapping. I am trying to practice reindexing data. That is why I am trying to get firewall2 and 3 to go to firewall4.

(David Pilato) #10

No you don't:

curl -XGET localhost:9200/firewall2/_search?size=0

gave

total is 0... No hits.

I'm not sure what your kibana instance is connected to.

Maybe this is me being new to all of this, but it looks like there is data in firewall2 index here

(David Pilato) #12

So you have data in firewall2-2018-02-07 index.
But no data in firewall2 index.

Ah ok. When I look in the /var/lib/elasticsearch...../indices, I seen the default logstash index. So I figured all the logstash-* indices were in place because of the logstash index, but I guess this is not the case? Instead I should use the date-specific indices to get the data from and then create a new index called firewall4-(today) to put the data in correct? I was hoping I could use the index prefix as catch all to move all the firewall2-* and firewall3-* data to firewall4 hoping that it would create the date suffix when it completed.

(David Pilato) #14

Don't look in

/var/lib/elasticsearch...../indices

It's internal. Just use the API.

May be reindex from firewall2-*?

Alrighty. I was just thinking along the same lines as creating an index how I just use the name and the rest, like the -date, happens on it's own. Thank you for clearing that up. :smiley:

(system) #16

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.