Elasticsearch snapshot restore from 8.6.2 to 8.6.0

I am in a dilemma, We have elasticsearch 8.6.2 deployed and the cluster is working fine since a year now but due to a mishap, the elasticsearch version that was supposed to be deployed was 8.6.0, I am thinking of performing a blue green deployment with snapshot restore from 8.6.2 to 8.6.0. Is is possible? Will this cause any breaking issues? The cluster compatibility says that if index was created in 8.0-8.13, it can be restored in the same version. please correct me if I am wrong.

Also, please note: I am aware of the fact that 8.6.2 is simply 8.6.0 with additional security + bug fixes

Hi,

since 8.6.2 is a minor version upgrade from 8.6.0 with additional security and bug fixes, it might be possible to downgrade without any issues. But it's important to note that this is not guaranteed and is not officially supported.

Regards

Hey Yago,

Just curious to know why is it not officially supported?

I don't think it'll work, but anyway it's not officially supported because the docs say it doesn't work:

You can’t restore a snapshot to an earlier version of Elasticsearch.

1 Like

Agreed. If you really want to do that, I'd recommend doing a reindex from remote.
But TBH, I'd stay with the current version. Or even better upgrade to 8.13.2 :blush: