Elasticsearch Snapshots Clarifications?

Hi,

1)I have 3 node ES cluster and in all the nodes the curator is installed and it is master enabled . Suppose if i take a snapshot in master node whether it will cover all the indices that are right now present in the cluster or it will snapshot the indices that are only present in master enabled node?

1. When i seen the snapshots only one snapshot is created for 3 node ES cluster . Suppose if it is taking snapshots from all the nodes it should have 3 snapshots (i.e.from 3 nodes) why only 1 is present?Whether that snapshot alone will cover the backup of all the indices in all the nodes?

2. Is it possible to download the snapshot from the azure snapshot storage container and open it in another machine?

3. When cluster crash in azure, we need to add a new VM and from the snapshots we have to restore the latest one right? or automatically it will join the ES cluster once it becomes active and share the shards(I.e.indices) ?

THANKS

1 & 2) Snapshots are cluster-wide, and capture all segments that need snapshotting, regardless of which node they are on.

1. To restore to another cluster, just add the repository to the target cluster exactly the same way you did in the source cluster.

2. Are you talking about a full cluster crash, or a single node? If you have replicas for your indices, and only 1 node fails, then Elasticsearch is resilient enough to just rebalance to the new node. You shouldn't have to restore from snapshots in this case.

If the entire cluster fails, then yes, you would have to restore from snapshots.

Thanks for detailed description @theuntergeek [quote="theuntergeek, post:2, topic:85408"]
To restore to another cluster, just add the repository to the target cluster exactly the same way you did in the source cluster.
[/quote]

1. Right now i have some snapshots in Azure blob storage . I will download it from blob storage and use in my PC ES cluster whether they will work?

Thanks

That's not how it works. You have to create another repository in the target cluster (your PC ES cluster) that uses the exact same storage. You don't download. You tell your PC ES Cluster to use the Azure blob storage repository as well—two clusters that both share the exact same repository. One creates snapshots, and the other only restores.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.