ElasticSearch Version Upgrade and OS migration

Hi,

We have a requirement where we need to upgrade OS and for Elasticsearch to run properly on new OS we need to upgrade ES version too.

Here we have two options

Option 1 -

1. Upgrade Elasticsearch version on all nodes first
  2. Perform OS migration on nodes with upgraded Elasticsearch version. For this we will take the node out of cluster and perform OS migration,install Elasticsearch upgraded version. Here cluster will have nodes with two different OS but with same Elasticsearch version.
  3. Repeat step 2 for all the nodes

Option 2 -

1. Take node out, perform OS migration and install upgraded Elasticsearch version.
  2. Put the node with new OS and upgraded Elasticsearch version into cluster. Here cluster will have nodes with two different OS and with different Elasticsearch version.
  3. Repeat the step 1 and 2 for all the nodes

Do you see any problem with any options, particularly option 2? Thanks

Between which Elasticsearch versions are you migrating? What is the size and topology of your cluster?

We are migrating Elasticsearch from 7.17.8 to 8.x most likely (8.12.2). We have around 50-60 data nodes, 3 master and 2 kibana nodes.

I will prefer to have all elastic same version.

i.e option 1.
you upgrading 7.x to 8.x. I hope you have already tested this out.

yes we are finalising the approaches then will test it out. So as of now comparing the different approaches.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.