EQL - Alert when Follow up event doesn't occur

Hey,
I'm trying to implement a rule with eql where I only want to get an alert when a follow up event doesn't occur within a certain time frame. Unfortunately it's not really doing what I'm hoping.
Is there any way how to fix this?

sequence by host.name with maxspan=5m
[process where event.code == xxxx]
[process where event.code != yyyy]

Thanks a lot in advance!

Hey there @lilow! :wave: Welcome to the community! :tada: :slightly_smiling_face:

So unfortunately it looks like there is no easy way to do this at the moment. There was a similar thread over here that mentions there is work underway to support this though.

Though as mentioned by this other user, you may be able to implement this another way depending on your configuration.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!
Garrett

edit: For reference, this looks like the public issue/PR you'll want to follow for when this feature will be available.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Just an update: support for missing events in sequences has just been merged and will be available in the 8.9 release! :tada: :slightly_smiling_face:

Additional details here: https://github.com/elastic/eql/issues/21#issuecomment-1598724072