Error after switching to ECS: 1 of 2 shards failed The data you are seeing might be incomplete or wrong

I recently changed the logging configuration in my .NET application to use the official Serilog ECS formatter from Elastic (based on the recommendation in this official documentation).

Now when I go to the discover app in Kibana, and select the "logs-*" indices (which at this moment only matches indices created from this application), I see no data, and this error message pops up:

1 of 2 shards failed
The data you are seeing might be incomplete or wrong.

When I click show details, I see that the failure is due to an illegal_argument_exception, with this message:

Field [event.created] of type [keyword] does not support custom formats

Looking at the log events coming in using the logs app in Kibana (found under APM), I see logs with the event.created field, with a value that looks like this: 2020-09-30T16:24:02.4797966+00:00

This is a brand new Elastic Cloud observability stack. We are evaluating the product for our observability needs.

Do I need to configure something under index management if I want to use ECS? I already deleted all the indices, think a new index created from these log events will solve the problem. But it did not help.

Edit:

I noticed that this field (event.created) is mapped as "type": "keyword", and that the error in Kibana shows a 'request' (not sure what the request is, but whatever it is the discover app does) with:

"docvalue_fields":[
  {
    "field": "event.created",
    "format": "date_time"
  },
]

So I see a discrepancy between "type": "keyword" in the mapping and "format": "date_time" in this request.

Trying to find a solution to my problem I've found mentions in the official documentation of "ECS index template" but no specific topic. Do I need to create an index template to be able to index documents that use ECS? If so, where can I obtain this index template?

Hey @michielvoo

Do I need to create an index template to be able to index documents that use ECS?

You do, if you go through filebeat filebeat manages an ECS compatible index template OOTB.

If you go with a direct shipper you'll need to setup the templates yourself.

Elastic.CommonSchema nuget package contains copies of these schema, the following blog post mentions how to get that setup.

If you use GitHub - serilog-contrib/serilog-sinks-elasticsearch: A Serilog sink that writes events to Elasticsearch make sure you don't use its autoregister template functionality as that template is not ecs aware.

Hope this helps you along further

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.