[ERROR][elasticsearch-service] Unable to retrieve version information from Elasticsearch nodes

Hi Everyone, I try to install Elasticsearch8.2.2 and Kibana8.2.2 on the one ubuntu20.04 virtual machine. I installed and configured Elasticsearch8.2.2 and get accessed from my local browser successfully. As below picture.

I also installed and configured Kibana8.2.2. But when I try to get access from my local browser. Browser always say Kibana server is not ready yet.

root@el1# sudo systemctl status kibana.service
Jun 05 11:19:55 elastic1 kibana[17804]: [2022-06-05T11:19:55.411+00:00][ERROR][elasticsearch-service] Unable to retrieve version information from Elasticsearch nodes.>

root@el1# journalctl -f -u kibana.service
un 05 11:19:55 elastic1 kibana[17804]: [2022-06-05T11:19:55.411+00:00][ERROR][elasticsearch-service] Unable to retrieve version information from Elasticsearch nodes. self signed certificate in certificate chain
Jun 05 11:19:58 elastic1 kibana[17804]: [2022-06-05T11:19:58.607+00:00][INFO ][plugins.screenshotting.chromium] Browser executable: /usr/share/kibana/x-pack/plugins/screenshotting/chromium/headless_shell-linux_x64/headless_shell

root@el1# sudo nano /etc/elasticsearch/elasticsearch.yml

path.data: /var/lib/elasticsearch
path.logs: /var/log/elasticsearch

xpack.security.enabled: true
xpack.security.enrollment.enabled: true
xpack.security.http.ssl:
  enabled: true
  keystore.path: certs/http.p12
xpack.security.transport.ssl:
  enabled: true
  verification_mode: certificate
  keystore.path: certs/transport.p12
  truststore.path: certs/transport.p12
cluster.initial_master_nodes: ["elastic1"]

cluster.name: elastic
node.name: elastic1
network.host: 192.168.216.142

root@el1# sudo nano /etc/kibana/kibana.yml

server.port: 5601
server.host: "192.168.216.142"
elasticsearch.hosts: ["https://192.168.216.142:9200"]
elasticsearch.username: "kibana_system"
elasticsearch.password: "B4CRasddasdasGBXzTI"

# Enables you to specify a file where Kibana stores log output.
logging:
  appenders:
    file:
      type: file
      fileName: /var/log/kibana/kibana.log
      layout:
        type: json
  root:
    appenders:
      - file

pid.file: /run/kibana/kibana.pid

Hi @HKN_MZ

As the error says

Unable to retrieve version information from Elasticsearch nodes. self signed certificate in certificate chain

You need to provide the self signed CA for elasticsearch to Kibana in kibana.yml

elasticsearch.ssl.certificateAuthorities: "/path/cert.ca"

You can test by setting

elasticsearch.ssl.verificationMode: "none"

But that is not recommended for production.

1 Like

Thank's for your repply, You are right when I added this code elasticsearch.ssl.verificationMode: "none" in kibana.yml. Problem is fixed.

I checked your shared document but I didn't figure out Where is cert.ca file? or should I create this file?

It depends on how you generated your certificates.

Did you just use the default steps when you installed elasticseaech or is it a certificate from your company or are you created them yourself.

1 Like

I fixed the problem and I wrote an article about it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Nice! That Works...

Turns out you don't need to do that if you use the enrollment token method ... which is just a shortcut to what you did...

Glad you got it working... it was much harder in 7.x why I also wrote a How To

1 Like