Error starting Metricbeat

Hi there

I'm having trouble getting Metricbeat running on a Linux VM. Filebeat was installed six months ago by a colleague and works perfectly fine. We are only using the Elasticsearch and Filebeat parts of the stack. We would like to use Metricbeat as well.

I did need to sudo chmod 644 the /etc/metricbeat/metricbeat.yml file.

My current problem is when I try to run "sudo service metricbeat start", the command does not succeed.

Looking in /var/log/metricbeat/metricbeat reveals the error to be: "Exiting: Error importing Kibana dashboards: fail to import the dashboards in Kibana: Error importing directory /usr/share/metricbeat/kibana: Failed to import index-pattern: Failed to load directory /usr/share/metricbeat/kibana/6/index-pattern:
error loading /usr/share/metricbeat/kibana/6/index-pattern/metricbeat.json: blocked by: [FORBIDDEN/12/index read-only / allow delete (api)];. Response: {"objects":[{"id":"metricbeat-*","type":"index-pattern","error":{"message":"blocked by: [FORBIDDEN/12/index read-only / allow delete (api)];"}}]}"

Is this error actually indicative of the disk being full? "df -h /var" informs me that the /var/ is only 60% full.

Can anyone please shed some light on what is going wrong?

Cheers

I can think of two causes for this.

Are you using any Security features? (Do you have a security section under Management, in Kibana?) Access restrictions can be forbidding metricbeat to access the .kibana index.

Another cause can be a problem as described in this post:

For which the solution is to run this command in Kibana -> Dev Tools -> Console:

PUT .kibana/_settings
{
"index": {
"blocks": {
"read_only_allow_delete": "false"
}
}
}

2 Likes

There's no Security section under Management in Kibana. Using Kibana version 6.0.1.

I'll try the PUT and report back.

Cheers

The PUT was the solution.

Thank you very much!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.