Error while starting logstash

hello
i am new to logstash and i had this error while launching logstash , i didn't know the cause of it, btw i am using it on windows :

[2024-03-04T12:04:49,450][ERROR][logstash.agent           ] Failed to execute action {:action=>LogStash::PipelineAction::Create/pipeline_id:main, :exception=>"Java::JavaLang::IllegalStateException", :message=>"Unable to configure plugins: (RuntimeError) \n\n\tyou might need to reinstall the gem which depends on the missing jar or in case there is Jars.lock then resolve the jars with `lock_jars` command\n\nno such file to load -- io/netty/netty-transport-native-unix-common/4.1.100.Final/netty-transport-native-unix-common-4.1.100.Final.jar (LoadError)", :backtrace=>["org.logstash.config.ir.CompiledPipeline.<init>(CompiledPipeline.java:120)", "org.logstash.execution.AbstractPipelineExt.initialize(AbstractPipelineExt.java:186)", "org.logstash.execution.AbstractPipelineExt$INVOKER$i$initialize.call(AbstractPipelineExt$INVOKER$i$initialize.gen)", "org.jruby.internal.runtime.methods.JavaMethod$JavaMethodN.call(JavaMethod.java:847)", "org.jruby.ir.runtime.IRRuntimeHelpers.instanceSuper(IRRuntimeHelpers.java:1319)", "org.jruby.ir.instructions.InstanceSuperInstr.interpret(InstanceSuperInstr.java:139)", "org.jruby.ir.interpreter.InterpreterEngine.processCall(InterpreterEngine.java:367)", "org.jruby.ir.interpreter.StartupInterpreterEngine.interpret(StartupInterpreterEngine.java:66)", "org.jruby.internal.runtime.methods.MixedModeIRMethod.INTERPRET_METHOD(MixedModeIRMethod.java:128)", "org.jruby.internal.runtime.methods.MixedModeIRMethod.call(MixedModeIRMethod.java:115)", "org.jruby.runtime.callsite.CachingCallSite.call(CachingCallSite.java:90)", "org.jruby.RubyClass.newInstance(RubyClass.java:931)", "org.jruby.RubyClass$INVOKER$i$newInstance.call(RubyClass$INVOKER$i$newInstance.gen)", "org.jruby.runtime.callsite.CachingCallSite.call(CachingCallSite.java:90)", "org.jruby.ir.instructions.CallBase.interpret(CallBase.java:548)", "org.jruby.ir.interpreter.InterpreterEngine.processCall(InterpreterEngine.java:367)", "org.jruby.ir.interpreter.StartupInterpreterEngine.interpret(StartupInterpreterEngine.java:66)", "org.jruby.ir.interpreter.InterpreterEngine.interpret(InterpreterEngine.java:88)", "org.jruby.internal.runtime.methods.MixedModeIRMethod.INTERPRET_METHOD(MixedModeIRMethod.java:238)", "org.jruby.internal.runtime.methods.MixedModeIRMethod.call(MixedModeIRMethod.java:225)", "org.jruby.internal.runtime.methods.DynamicMethod.call(DynamicMethod.java:228)", "org.jruby.runtime.callsite.CachingCallSite.call(CachingCallSite.java:291)", "org.jruby.ir.interpreter.InterpreterEngine.processCall(InterpreterEngine.java:328)", "org.jruby.ir.interpreter.StartupInterpreterEngine.interpret(StartupInterpreterEngine.java:66)", "org.jruby.ir.interpreter.Interpreter.INTERPRET_BLOCK(Interpreter.java:116)", "org.jruby.runtime.MixedModeIRBlockBody.commonYieldPath(MixedModeIRBlockBody.java:136)", "org.jruby.runtime.IRBlockBody.call(IRBlockBody.java:66)", "org.jruby.runtime.IRBlockBody.call(IRBlockBody.java:58)", "org.jruby.runtime.Block.call(Block.java:144)", "org.jruby.RubyProc.call(RubyProc.java:352)", "org.jruby.internal.runtime.RubyRunnable.run(RubyRunnable.java:111)", "java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:840)"]}

Hi @Dhia_Said,

Welcome to the community! Which version of Logstash are you using?

Unable to configure plugins: (RuntimeError) \n\n\tyou might need to reinstall the gem which depends on the missing jar

It looks like a potential plugin configuration issue. Can you share your config?

As Carly said, might be something related to config or the installation package which you used is not OK. Show us configs.
Which input plugin are you using, which OS and LS version?

Additionally, you can:

1. Reinstall Logstash

2. If still the same error exist, try only with .zip/tar

1 Like

i'm using 8.12 , and this is the config file of logstash that i created it

input { stdin { } }

filter {
  grok {
    match => { "message" => "%{COMBINEDAPACHELOG}" }
  }
  date {
    match => [ "timestamp" , "dd/MMM/yyyy:HH:mm:ss Z" ]
  }
}

output {
  elasticsearch { hosts => ["localhost:9200"] }
  stdout { codec => rubydebug }
}

i'm using Windows as operating system

Save your .conf and unzip the LS package again. LS 8.x is working fine on Windows platform. Maybe you have an issue with JDK however LS is using own, and will se a trace in logstash-plain.log.

Please test this .conf. If this doesn't work, you have problem with LS package.

input {
  generator {
       message => '66.249.64.64 - - [01/Dec/2023:13:16:13 +0100] "GET /wp-content/plugins/elementor/assets/lib/eicons/fonts/eicons.woff2?5.17.0 HTTP/1.1" 304 - "https://site.com/wp-content/plugins/elementor/assets/lib/eicons/css/elementor-icons.min.css?ver=5.17.0" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/119.0.0.0 Safari/537.36"'
	   count => 1
  }
 } 

filter {
  grok {
    match => { "message" => "%{COMBINEDAPACHELOG}" }
  }
  date {
    match => [ "timestamp" , "dd/MMM/yyyy:HH:mm:ss Z" ]
  }
}

output {
    stdout {codec => rubydebug{} }
}

it works , and my config file has a missing } in the end of the code , thank you

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.